Re: [HCDX] 49 Meters Numbers Station

> From: "Thomas Giella, KN4LF" <kn4lf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "HC-DX E-List" <hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I was tuning around the 49 meter band this morning at 1500 UTC, looking for
> any Mexican or other C/S American SW broadcast stations that might still be
> in existence, when I stumbled across a numbers station on 5760 kc. The AM
> modulation was poor but it was the female version in Spanish. The signal was
> 59+30-40 so the station was regional to Florida.

This station is from Cuba. The Cuban numbers stations are infamous for
poor audio, as well as other technical mishaps. There are CW
transmissions as well, and sometimes they'll accidently swap
frequencies, or mix the two signals on one frequency (analysis seems to
indicate that they transmit CW by feeding audio to a transmitter running
in SSB mode). More fun is when they mix a little Radio Havana audio in
as well. We've even caught an open mike and a rooster call!

I wonder if Arnie Coro could forward a reception report to the correct
authorities for a QSL? ;-)

Check out new HCDX web site: http://www.hard-core-dx.com/