[HCDX] Full Gospel Las Palmas Church, 6715 kHz

[HCDX] Full Gospel Las Palmas Church, 6715 kHz

Las Palmas, Gran Canary has a lot of churches, of different denominations and languages. These can be found spread over most parts of the island, but of course concentrated to the capital. There, on a rock that is protruding from the Alta Vista barrio over the city you find a Korean Evangelical Church. Las Palmas Full Gospel Church. It has a splendid view of the town and the Atlantic. Its modern and tasteful design reveals that rather much money has been invested there.

In this week of Canary vacation I fled the heat of south coast for just one day and headed north, left my Norwegian travelmate to do his exploration of the marinas in Las Palmas, and hailed a taxi for the address of the church. This address was unknown to the driver, and to his colleagues over the taxi radio too, but I had it spotted on the city map and more or less did the navigation. Once there he said he couldn't have dreamt that I was looking for a the Korean Church.

I got there on a Thursday at 1.45 p.m. when an hour or so of prayer was coming to an end. Two or three dozens of Koreans were leaving, and I had the time to explain my mission there . The fellow I talked to was a very friendly one, he showed the church and even the roof with its antenna, just a coax cable. The operator of the transmitter was not present and had the keys to the shack with him. So the tx is indeed up there, and the pictures I took just shows a 6 feet aluminum pipe. Really nothing spectcular.

The church is also used for non-Korean gospel meetings, and one such would take place later that afternoon. I asked about reception reports my guide couldn't show any, but seemed familiar with all the data in an entry in the HCDX from Giampero Bernardini, and on a desk just inside the entrance I snooped a look on an unopened letter from what seemed to be a Dutch DX-er.

I made just one more radio contact on the island. The WRTH (edition 2002) page 149 about the Canary Tourist Radio over Radio Popular de Las Palmas, manager Xavier Palin, is unfortunately obsolete. Ingemar - which is his Swedish name - has retired from that activity, but still going strong writing books and enjoying retirement in his home in Playa del Inglés, Bungalows Santa Barbara to be more precise. Of course it was a great thing to see him after all those years. Just too many memories popped up.

The FM band is of course crammed with a number of ondas that I have never heard of before, and it would take days and weeks to investigate it all.

73 Johan Berglund, Trollhättan, Sweden

[Pictures on the Korean Gospel Church can be seen on the HCDX web site.]

World Radio TV Handbook 2003 will be out soon. Order it now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/095358643X/hardcoredxcom