[HCDX] The best LA DX night of the season

[HCDX] The best LA DX night of the season

Hello to all !

I've got to sleep 90 minutes the past afternoon, and it was really what I had to do to stay up late.

After a brief broust of loud signal from Guadeloupe, when I writed my message last night on the LatinMWDX list, conditions deteriorated a little bit, with only RVC-530 and a 640 mess in audio. So, I stayed in the basement, talking with my father who was downloading MP3s and helping him find some songs on Kazaa until about 11:40 PM when I found Cuba on 600 (a regular), I tuned down the dial (20 kHz) and found reagge music on 580; RJR Galina !!! This is my best bet from Jamaica, since I have STRONG locals on 690 and 730 (you know what I mean). There was NO WTAG for several minutes, the only QRM being some annoyng noises, but they were audible mostly only on the low side of 580, on the high side of 580, the Jamaican signal was clear !

Also, managed a new cuban: Radio Progreso on 660. In the beginning I thinked of the Tampico station in Mexico, since the 640 // faded too under Guadeloupe and Venezuela, and 890 was too weak, but it surfaced again over WFAN about a half-hour later (at midnight 33, local time), at the time Radio Progreso-640 had the full control of the channel and a good signal on 890 was heard as well, so I could identify it; heard several times throught the night (I've was gone to bed at 3AM !!), under WFAN with dramatic theatre, clearly // 640; also CMBA-1180 did a good job on WHAM, //600 (wich was very strong at times,completly demolishing WICC), and even when under WHAM, it has a strong and easily heard signal ! It's the third time in a week I get Radio Rebelde on 1180, it seems to be more constantly heard than the low band Latins, because at that channel there is only 1 single hop to Cuba.

Tryed for Mexico-1220 (XEB), wich is regularly reported in eastern North-America, especially by mid-eastern DX-ers, but the channel was full of domestic QRM. Mexico was not to be heard. I tryed to log XECCN on 860, but nothing was heard, despite no QRM (CJBC-860 was completly nulled). Tryed for Mexcio since around 2 years, and with the help of Kevin Redding from Arizona (hi Kevin !), bagged 2 Mexicans (XEWA-540 and XEW-900) On the other hand, Guadeloupe-640 was VERY loud ! At times, even Cuba was'n't to be heard at all. If I get this with a 2 meters ferrite bar antenna, it means it could be picked up even farer away on the West Coast. West Coast DX-ers not too close to KFI should try for Guadeloupe-640. By the way, I've got to bed as early as 10 PM friday, as to be able to get up very early, and did wake up once around 2:30 AM trying to hear KFI-640 (the most reported west-coast domestic by East Coast DX-ers, altough it is a very rare catche anyway with all the QRM), and did heard definite EE talk, in a very easy null of a weakish Radio Progreso signal; did'n't sound like the usual WNNZ-The Zone/Mojo Radio dominants, but it quickly faded away. Then I got back to sleep until a bit after 6AM, when I done some shortwave listening. With all the overloads, it seems that my Realistic DX-351 portable receiver is better than the Realistic-DX150A communication receiver I have from a Nick Hall-Patch. There is'n't enough gain on the lower MW frequencies and on 60 meters (Mauritanie-4845 is the only 60mb signal that is listenable), the 25mb is really impressive however (90mb as well, but there is'n't much here).

That's it for now !
A full report report will be issued later today or tomorrow, after I finish my homeworks. They were'n't much homeworks to do this weekend aside from orals on french and on english.
That's it for now !,
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu

Btw:Sheldon, did the 580 Jamaican was strong at your home too ?