[HCDX] Results of my EWE remote termination experiments.

[HCDX] Results of my EWE remote termination experiments.

Work is still in progress, but I have had pretty good luck remotely
terminating my EWE antennas from the shack. Instead of the pricey vactrols
that are suggested in construction articles, I bought some dirt cheap
photocells from American Scientific and light them up with standard 12v
automotive lamps placed in small metal boxes purchased on Ebay (had to make
the covers myself). I was afraid that the photocells would get overloaded
from the strong local stations, but I have had no problems at all. Eight
conductor control cable was also purchased at a discount price from American
Scientific. Although I am only currently using one twisted pair, this will
leave me room for working relays, or other expansions. The photocells will
provide roughly 100ohm to 500k ohm resistance with the small 12 volt lamp
which worked great on longwave, but I needed less resistance to get nulls
above 1000khz. I am getting around that by putting two or three in parallel.
A brighter lamp would also give a lower resistance. Unequal vertical portions
of the antennas may be making deep nulls impossible on some stations, but on
others, I can null them into the noise. For example local NDB MK on 410khz
can be nulled from S9+10 to S0. Chicago's WIND on 560 can be nulled from
S9+30db down to S9 making it just weak enough for strong DX to override. The
same with local WEMP on 1250khz. At night, I can null them just enough to
hear background stations underneath, and am able to listen to adjacent
channels without interference. Other Chicago "pests" such as 670 or 890, I am
unable to null at all. Probably due to a mix of ground wave and sky wave
propagation.

Additionally, I am unable to get any nulls above 1400khz. This may be due to
the fact that my antenna is too large since I get great nulls down as low as
100khz. The antenna is currently 15 - 20 ft high, and 75 feet long. I'll try
smaller dimensions and see if that affects frequency range.

In summary, I have found the common photocell a nice way to remotely
terminate EWE antennas.

73,

John Wilke
WB9UAI
Milwaukee, WI

World Radio TV Handbook 2003 will be out soon. Order it now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/095358643X/hardcoredxcom