[HCDX] Logs on December 6/December 7, 2002

[HCDX] Logs on December 6/December 7, 2002

Hello !

Slightly above average conditions to Latin America produced a solid log of Colombia-650 among others. Another Colombian, the one on 760, is much stronger since a week suggesting a back to normal power (they were very difficult to hear during most of this fall).

Also, some listening this morning around dawn was done on the domestic "graveyard" channels. Several unIDs, but not much in the way of positive loggings. It is indeed challenging to hear those lower-powered and very messy stations..., 1230 seems to be the best channel with fewer stations coming in at the same time, especially around sunset and sunrise.

Into the logs now:

(QTH: Pierrefonds (Montreal suburb), Quebec, Canada)
(Equipment: Sanyo MCD-S830 receiver w/ internal ferrite loop ant.)

Pan-American DX
(Times in UTC)

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   Radio Vísíon Cristiana Caicos  DEC 7 0236 - very good signal with man talking about Jesus-Christ as being "lo ultimo salvador" and giving the their phone number a few seconds later as 1-973-881-1130 (uno nueve siete très ocho ocho uno onze trenta) (Chiochiu-QC).
600 CUBA,   Radio Rebelde  DEC 7 0212 - Presumed; man in spanish way under WICC and growl (Chiochiu-QC)
650 COLOMBIA,   HJKH, RCN Antena Dos, Bogota  DEC 7 0052 - Very strong, mixing with semi-nulled WSM; heard a man with a strong voice mentionning "Bogotá". The strongest I've heard them yet (Chiochiu-QC)
750 VENEZUELA, YVKS, RCR Caracas, DF DEC 7 0139 - Man and woman atop WSB  +DEC 7 DEC 3 0314 - Poor to somewhat fair, mixing with WSB (Chiochiu-QC)
760 COLOMBIA, HJAJ, RCN, Barranquilla DEC 7 0128 - Spots, "Radio Succeso RCN" ID; time pips on :30 then the program "Momento Deportivo" continued. Good to fair signal (Chiochiu-QC)

Domestic DX
(Times in EST)

600 WICC (Bridgeport, CT) DEC 6  2031 - ID, then into "AP network news". Fair, over Rebelde/growl (Chiochiu-QC)
610 CHNC Radio Média (Gaspé, QC) DEC 7  2026 - Ads, then back to hockey; //730 local (Chiochiu-QC)
650 WSM (Nashville, TN) DEC 6  1928 - Excellent; playing Sir Thomas - Good Looks From An Old Lover Again (sounded like an 80's C&W song to me), then man give a rapid commentary on the title, talk about some news, give time check as "six thirty" (UTC-6), then played a very old country song (Chiochiu-QC)
750 WSB (Atlanta, GA)  DEC 6  0119  - after writing a medium-lenght e-mail to Matt. L informing that I easily heard Colombia on 650, I was back to my radio and heard this with sports at a weak level only (Chiochiu-QC)
1230 unID DEC 7 0706 atop channel w/ talk-show about republicans (Chiochiu-QC)
1230 unID DEC 7 0707 NOS music mixing slightly under the rebuplicans tlk stn; in fight with at least 3 other GYers (Chiochiu-QC)
1240p WSKI (Montpellier, VT) DEC 7 0708 and other times this morning - mixing with others, playing NOS music. Presumed from previous logs. This is by far the most regular local channel station and maybe the only to be frequently atop the mess; even in the mid-evening hours. Surprisingly, since there is a very short skip distance beetwen me and Montpellier (around 100 miles only); not audible on day-time groundwave because of the lower power and the high frequency ! (Chiochiu-QC)
1310 CIWW (Ottawa, ON) DEC 7 0715 - Very good with oldies; apparently switched to day facilities, as I can heard their groundwave signal too mixing w/ a slightly stronger skywave signal (altough fading a bit with sunrise) (Chiochiu-QC)
1400 apparently a MASSACHUSETS stn, "WOCE", "WICE", "WACE" or maybe "WIZE" or anything phonetically similar  DEC 7 0711  - heard w/ Frank Sinatra-style music; mixing w/ 1 or 2 talkers, ocasionnally alone too; ID as "... AM 14 Hundred, W?C or (Z?)? (I know there are two vocals but can't make them out; I'm not sure of the second conson either, nothing seems to fit). (Chiochiu-QC)
1400 unID portuguese domestic  DEC 7 0720 - with the others 1400s fading this was alone with nearly no QRM at all with a poor to fair signal, maybe WLLH in Lowell, MA ?
1400 unID domestic w/ republican talk-show with a man by telephone, seemingly the same voice heard on 1230 a few minutes earlier (didn't check the channel this time tough) (Chiochiu-QC)
1440 WVEI (Worchester, MA) DEC 0717  - Excellent; very poor bits of talk under but not enough to ID (maybe previously logged WRRO-OH); ID and mention of "20-20 sports". (Chiochiu-QC)
1450 unIDs, around 0655 - several domestic talkers mixing on this channel; some seemed to stay slightly atop of each others for a few dozens of seconds. (Chiochiu-QC)
1490 WICY (Malone, NY)  DEC 7, 0654 - oldies music in mess; this is the only audible groundwave signal at mid-day here in Pierrefonds. (Chiochiu-QC)
1500 WTOP (Washington, DC)  DEC 7 0713 - "WTOP news time seven twelf" time check noted in passing with a poor and fading with sunrise signal. Almost no WFIF at all, tough (Chiochiu-QC).

That's it for now !
These are all my logs from the past 24 hours,
I hope someone will help with the unIDs,
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu