[HCDX] [radiostamps] EKKO stamps

from http://www.worldofradio.com/dxld2196.txt

RADIO PHILATELY
+++++++++++++++

Quite a number of readers also enjoy collecting radio related stamps
and covers, and an interesting website is that of Bart Lee, San
Francisco CA http://www.antiqueradios.com which includes an article
on
Radio Stamps. The United Fruit Company had one of the earliest radio
networks to connect its Latin American operations and in 1910 they
began issuing their own wireless franks, or kind of stamp.

As radio became popular in the early 1920's, the EKKO Stamp Company
started up business. They sold a postage like stamp featuring an
eagle
in the design, plus call letters to many hundreds of new US radio
stations, and a similar stamp with a beaver for Canadian Some
stations
used their own designs, and WHAS Louisville KY wrote: It gives us
great pleasure to send you our Verification Stamp No.1. Incidentally,
we have five such stamps, respectively, for each successive report.
There is, of course, no charge for these. We shall be most interested
to see you collect the entire series, and wish you luck.

[captions:] EKKO Stamp 1934 WCKY `The Voice of Cincinnati`, Eric
Shackle Collection, NZRDXL Archives ©
WHAS Verification Stamp No.1, 1934. Eric Shackle Collection,
NZRDXL Archives ©

The eagle design was also used in Cuba. EKKO also issued its own
stamp
albums and collectors kits, and today these stamps are regarded as
`cinderella` items by stamp collectors and are highly sought after as
collectibles.

We`ve also come across a similar stamp used by the Tokyo Central
Broadcasting Station in mid-1933 as part of a QSL card issued for
JOAK. In fact, Japanese radio stations were prolific QSLers in the
1930`'s, issuing well designed cards (in English) which made
attractive additions to any DX collection of the era.

If you`re interested in art and design, you'll also know that `radio
art` has closely followed the trends of the time, with many Art Deco
logo designs (and studio buildings for that matter too) in the 1930s,
moving into the `streamlined` look of the late 1940s and early 1950s,
and the psychedelic designs of the late 1960s and early 1970s for
example. These are reflected in bumper stickers, posters, Top 40
charts, QSL cards, letterheads and station promotional materials.
Some
of these can be seen in `The Art of Radio` © in the Radio Heritage
Collection © at http://www.radiodx.com where you`ll also find a
growing number of other interesting radio articles (Dec NZ DX Times
via DXLD)

World Radio TV Handbook 2003 will be out soon. Order it now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/095358643X/hardcoredxcom