[HCDX] Logs from Friday 13, 2002

Hello !

Bogdan speaks: I'll have a new radio for Christmas, probably a Sony 2010, a Sangean or something like this. The volume control Sanyo MCD-S830 seems to work less and less well, when I adjust the volume I can hear distorsion and sometimes the audio do not come from one of the speakers; I have this radio since more than 5 years.

Bogdan speaks again: The last Friday conditions has been only average, but still the unheard Venezuelan on 910 was present, along with the more usual stations. But the biggest surprise was, while using an old Phillips LW/MW transistor radio from Romania, very late this afternoon tuned to LW (longwave), of course, about an hour after local sunset, when I heard very weak talk (NOT local spur !!!) around 180-185 kHz, not sure because my lights were off and the dial is analog anyway, but I strongly suspect this was longwave TA; most likely Europe 1 wich is on 183 kHz !!!!!

Into the logs now:

using the Sanyo MCD-S830 with it's own ferrite loop antenna

Pan-American DX

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   R. Vision Cristiana DEC 14 0223 - At excellent level with man talking about "Navidad"; some spanish gospel music at other times (Chiochiu-QC)
640 CUBA,   Radio Progreso DEC 14 0226 - Briefly in with a fair-good signal over Guadeloupe with ID and mention of Rebelde, then nx. (Chiochiu-QC)
640 GUADELOUPE,   Radio Guadeloupe, Pointe-à-Pitre DEC 13 0124 - Strong, over Cuba/WNNZ mixing with possible Venezuela, playing up-beat caribbean music (Chiochiu-QC)
750 VENEZUELA, RCR,  DEC 14 0221 - Briefly very slightly over WSB with man in SS; other wise way under Atlanta QRM during most of the evening (Chiochiu-QC)
760 COLOMBIA, RCN Barranquilla, HJAJ  DEC 14 0224 - to very good peak with "RCN Cadena Basíca" ID during a newscast program that featured many correspondances by telephone (Chiochiu-QC)
890 CUBA, CMDZ Radio Progreso, Chambas  DEC 14 0228 - assumed this with bits of spanish speach; very poor signal tonight (Chiochiu-QC)
910 VENEZUELA, YVRQ Caracas   DEC 14 0235 - tentative; playing a romatic song, picked up the words "Te quiero"; heard other times with salsa; mainly a threshold signal tonight, poor at best; faded up completly away shortly after the brief audible peak of 0134-0136. Should be easily IDable during better Latin American conditions (Chiochiu-QC)

Trans-Atlantic DX (??)

using the Phillips LW/MW transistor radio with it's own ferrite bar antenna

183  GERMANY, Europe 1, Sarre  DEC 18 2206 - VERY tentative; talk at extremely weak level; peaked when aimed the Phillips transistor radio with it's ferrite bar antenna east-west. Very threshold, way too weak to ID the language, but at least it's SOMETHING. My first TA reception; if I exclude vweak "high-tone pitch" on the high side of WWKB-1520 heard some weeks ago, tought to be Saudi-1521, using the Sanyo radio ! (Chiochiu-QC)

That's it for now !
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu
QTH: Montreal-Pierrefonds, Quebec, Canada

Bogdan speaks again: Please don't forget to celebrate Christmas with all your family and friends !!!!