[HCDX] Logs from the rest of the night of JAN 4 - JAN 5

[HCDX] Logs from the rest of the night of JAN 4 - JAN 5

Hello !

I decided to do some listening the past night from a bit before mid-night to just before 1AM in the morning when I got to bed. I got a some strong Latins, but only very few. Most of the DX was domestic oriented and it was a very nice session since I don't DX USA/Canadian stations very often, altough I should. I was simply impressed by the very long-haul results Patrick Martin had with it's Eastern Beverage (I did read some reports in the hard-core-dx mailing archive wich dated back to December 2000).

The high-lights of the night were logging WWL from New Orleans on 870 kHz in Louisiana. This LA nr. 1 and US state nr. 21 only (I could bagged around 35 states if I listened to domestic DX more often using my great Sanyo radio). I also heard 1 or 2 stations fighting in and out as deepth as possible to null CBA on 1070. I need to listen to the tape wich I left run a bit after I got to bed so we'll see. There were a talk-show with older music beetwen the talk segments (not sure if the same station, but posssible; there aren't many strong domestics on 1070). I would need KNX in Los Angeles, CA for a new state, the most distant NA log and the 2nd or 3nd most distant if I count the tentative/presumed logs of Ecuador-640 and Peru-760.

Into the logs now:

(Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu DX'ing from Montreal (Pierrefonds-Est) Quebec, Canada using a Sanyo MCD-S830 barefoot)

Pan-American DX:

530 Turks and Caicos,    Radio Vision Cristiana  JAN 5 0457 - Near the end of a spanish religious gospel-pop song w/ man in SS with time-check, a few announcements, very shortly after the song ended followed by their very nice "La emisora de Dios" jingle, then a pretty new Top-of-the-Hour jingle with triple IDs from WWRV-1330, WVIP-1310 and RVC-530 with singed parts beetwen the freqs/locations/call IDs followed by a nice "nuevo año ... en el Señor ... Isus" jingle with a pure eurodance/pop beat ! Excellent signal + JAN 5 0541 - Also excellent, w/ an Adult Contemporary SS gospel ballad. (Chiochiu-QC)

910 Venezuela,   YVRQ, Caracas DF  JAN 5 0510 - fair-poor signal with increasing QRM from a domestic talker (presumably WABI); playing an old-fashionned Venezuelan tune, apparently by Los Melodícos. No ID, but Bruce Conti also heard them playing a Los Melodícos song a few months ago. I hope to get a full ID from them soon. (Chiochiu-QC)

1180 Cuba,    CMBA, Radio Rebelde, Villa María  JAN 5 0506 - Spanish music under WHAM. (Chiochiu-QC)

Domestic DX (Times in Eastern Standard Time - i.e.: 0000 - local midnight in Montreal - means 0500 UTC):

750 WSB Atlanta, GA  JAN 5 0006 - presumed w/ talkshow at an excellent to good level. (Chiochiu-QC)
870 WWL New Orleans, LA  JAN 5 0014 - caught the slogan at tune-in wich ended in "...information station" followed by a possible ad and a WWL ID. Poor to very weak and soon overtaked by a stronger stn wich had a talk-show. New log for me and a new state ! (Chiochiu-QC)
910 WABI Bangor, ME  JAN 5 0011 - tentative; weak to fair and overtaking the weaker YV with talk. This is another 910 mystery. Just like presumably YVRQ comes in 1 evening out of 2 with weak to poor and occasionally fair signals, but never good enough for an ID. I understand this is a pest for DX'ers in the Bruce COnti/Mark Connelly/Eric Stomsted area, but this would be a welcome log here. (Chiochiu-QC)
920 WHJJ Providence, RI  JAN 5 0013 - noted in passing in local 940 slop. (Chiochiu-QC)
1070 unID (maybe KNX-CA ? ) JAN 5 0048 - Excited talk-show mixing with nulled CBA with the radio aimed south-west-west. Also some oldies, not sure if the same station. Any ideas ? (Chiochiu-QC)
1090 WBAL Baltimore, MD  JAN 5 0002 - End of of the "ABC news" newscast wich was presented by a woman followed by some ads (ABC news announced repeated after the first ad, maybe a unneeded wonder about a possible satellite delay problem wich didn't happen ?) and a promo for the WBAL morning team. Fairly strong with a some slops from local-like WTIC-1080. (Chiochiu-QC)
1110 WBT Charlotte, NC  JAN 5 0005 - End of nx, then "...on news, Weather and Traffic station. I'm Chris Meawhile of WBT news..." promo followed by some spots, one of them (the following one) did started with "News-Talk 11-10 WBT". Very good to fairly poor (Chiochiu-QC)
1120 KMOX St. Louis, MO  JAN 5 0007 - Very good in WPRX-1120 and WBBR-1130 null: end of a fairly long newscast, followed by lottery numbers, several ads and a promo "When you need to know if your school has closed, listen to Strom Center Closing Updates from 11-20 KMOX" followed by a commercial ad (Chiochiu-QC)
1130 WAFN Miami Springs, FL  JAN 5 0007 - Very tentative; Talkshow very poor mixing with remaints of nulled WBBR. Bruce Conti has heard WAFN here ! (Chiochiu-QC)
1160 unID,  JAN 5 0001 - Ads, weather forecast followed by a NOS song. Faded almost constantly from very weak to very good in and out two weak domestics (Chiochiu-QC)
1200 unID,  JAN 5 0027 - NOS mx mixing and very often under the big CFGO "pest" signal while trying to get WSAI San Antonio, TX for a new state. I think I may need a good aurora to blow away CFGO and the nostalgia music "pests" to get Texas easily, but I heard Venezuela's Radio Tiempo here in late November for the 2nd time during a NON-auroral evening slightly under CFGO, so everything is possible, even hearing WSAI during a non-auroral night ! (Chiochiu-QC)
1320 CKEC New Glasgow, NS fighting with a second stn  JAN 5 0032 - Mid-tempo AC song mixing with a second station that had a song wich sounded like a mixture beetwen pop and C&W (obviously not the usual CJMR "pest"). I also logged an unID talker in August 2001 here, but obviously not the same stn. Any ideas ? (Chiochiu-QC)

I hope someone will help with the unIDs and I hope I will be able to hear sooner or later a west coast domestic.
That's it for now !,
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu

World Radio TV Handbook 2003 will be out soon. Order it now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/095358643X/hardcoredxcom