RE: [HCDX] Emerging Techniques in High-Tech DX

RE: [HCDX] Emerging Techniques in High-Tech DX

I don't know what machines are best / worst but would not count on any of
them to be perfect. To compensate for the lack of perfection, I always use
snap-together style ferrite chokes on all cables coming into and out of the
laptop. Fair-Rite makes a few, and Radio Shack carries one, or a similar
product from someone else. We used them in the telecommunications
laboratories I have worked in, and they really cutthe noise down. MW / SW
DXíng is another matter and they may not totally solve the problem, but they
should be worth a try. I use them at our Grayland DXpeditions and either
because of the coax feeds and / or the chokes, I have had no problem with
either my 600 MHz or (sometimes) 300 MHz laptops. Others have had a laptop
RFI problem at Grayland but I was not there at the time and don't know what
the cause and solution were.

Chuck Hutton
Seattle WA