[HCDX] Pan-American loggings from Sat. night Dec. 11

[HCDX] Pan-American loggings from Sat. night Dec. 11

Hello to all of you !

Condx were not excellent like they were Thursday (when I had SS all the way up to 1180), but I still managed to get at least the regular stations. I only DXed beetwen a half-hour 10-10:30 PM intensively, but maked a quick low-band band-scan beetwen 8:43-8:46 PM, so some logs were made then (0143-0146 UTC). What was interesting is that while RCN Barranquilla had commercial ads, another SS was heard underneath, probably I have a possible ID ont ape, but need to review it. I also remarked that this station signal was actually modulated by the HJAJ carrer (see below). Other noticing this effect ? Not anything new, but...:

Equipment: Sanyo MCD-S830, long barefoot, 6 kHz filter
QTH: West Island of MTL (Pierrefonds-Est), Quebec, Canada

530 Turks and Caicos,    Radio Vision Cristiana  JAN 12 0314 - old-fashionned SS song. Fair w/ some computer QRM originating probably from our neighborhoods (Chiochiu-PQ)
600 Cuba,   Radio Rebelde, CMKV, Urbano Norris  JAN 12 0315 - SS talk (not sure if a Castro monologue or a sports event). Fairly good, but with some QRM including a fairly big growl wich maked this sound a bit muffed. A slow-rhythm bachata song was heard underneath, probably this was the cause of the growl as noted several times, but not sure. David Crawford in east-coast FL also heard this one (Chiochiu-PQ)
640 Venezuela, YVQO, Union Radio, Puerto La Cruz, Anz.  JAN 12 0302 - Venezuelan newscast hosted by a man followed by a report with several furrious manifestants. Fair reception (good signal, some QRM) ! (Chiochiu-PQ)
750 Venezuela, YVKS, Caracas, D.F.  JAN 12 0143 - Man in Spanish noted in passing at a poor-fair level (Chiochiu-QC)
760 Colombia, HJAJ, Barranquilia  JAN 12 0205 - 0207+ - w/ ads for Supermercado (supermarket) and other thing occ. mixing with another SS stn underneath (Venezuela, Peru, XEABC, WLCC - SS domestic in Florida ?  +  0207 - suddenly dropped power ! (sudden cut, then faded a minute later with a much weaker signal, probably a power cut ?) with just a barely detectable signal from the other (SS) station - station being modulated by the OC of another ? I've also remarked some days when WSB-750 was MUCH stronger before YVKS sign-off at 0400 UTC than after ? When I had 9 or 10 years old in Romania (1996-1997) I also remarked this effect - when there was a carrer from another station present, then this modulated and maked stronger the signal of the other station on the same channel (i.e.: WSB strong when YVKS is on and weak after Venezuela goes off or when I listened to Ghana on 4915 kHz (or 4905 ?) 60 meters and heard Brasil underneath quite strong, Radio Anhanguera Goina then when Ghana would go off (at their local mid-night - 2400 UTC) my Realistic DX-351 with all the gain, wire into the ground (floppy-disk) of the computer and box and keyboard I put to enhance reception will not have enough gain for the red lighter of my SW radio to stay on even though Brasil was still audible - by the way this was my first 60MB Brazilian (June 2001). This could explain why Jim Renfrew heard the Globo ID easy even when WTAM had it's OC on, perphaps ! (Chiochiu-QC)

73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu

World Radio TV Handbook 2003 will be out soon. Order it now!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/095358643X/hardcoredxcom