[HCDX] Fwd: Loggings from Maui, Hawaii

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 23:10:41 -0800
To: DXplorer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Walter Salmaniw <salmaniw@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Loggings from Maui, Hawaii

Folks, spent three weeks on the north shore of west Maui. As always, DXing is a lot of fun, and with the lovely temperatures very easy. Unfortunately, our accommodations were quite noisy (due to those awful screw-in neon bulbs), and pretty unsympathetic grounds keepers (my 75' or so of a very fine wire was cut by 2/3 before 0700 local), so I had to do with much shorter lengths. I did some of my listening at a vacant lot a few hundred meters from the resort using either just the built-in whip, or random wire of about 50'. Sony 2010 was my receiver. Briefly listened one morning in Kihei on the beach at 0700 local with better conditions than on west Maui. Here goes:

ARGENTINA 11710, 0257-, Radio Nacional Jan 2 Excellent trans Pacific reception with full Spanish ID at 0300. Much stronger than normally heard in the Pacific Northwest. (Salmaniw, Maui)

BANGLADESH 9550, 1813-, Bangladesh Betar Dec 27 Monitored this station on many days in Maui, but on most days, signal plugs the meter of my Sony 2010, but there is a loud buzz and very little audio. Parallel to 7185, almost as strong. English talk by YL. IS at 1815. Monitored at 1745 on 29 Dec with same buzz, into English Voice of Islam programming, again at very low level. The only day that modulation was strong was on 6 January. Tune-in at 1819. At 1821, strong clear ID as: 'This is the external service of Bangladesh Betar giving hyou the news'. Minimal distortion, and no buzz. Reports requested at 1859 to the Director of the External Svce, Bangladesh Betar. Following days, back to the usual loud buzz and weak audio. On 10 January, heard IS and ID at 1744 as, 'This is the Voice of Islam for the External Service of Bangladesh Betar'. (Salmaniw, Maui)

BOTSWANA 0248, 0248-, Radio Botswana Jan 7 Very strong signal with the usual barnyard IS. Solid 5-5-5. (Salmaniw, Maui)

CLANDESTINE 3985, 1710-, Voice of Iranian Kurdistan Dec 28 Two cochannel stations, with slight het. Stronger station is probably the clandestine, with lots of mentions of 'Arabiyah'. The weaker station is presumably CNR 2nd program. (Salmaniw, Maui)

COSTA RICA 7445, 0627-, RFPI Dec 30 Best signal on 41 meters at this time of the evening in Maui. Went into WOR at 0630. Good reception. (Salmaniw, Maui)

EL SALVADOR 17835.4, 1744-, Radio Imperial Dec 28 Not really a logging. More an observation. Het was heard most of the day in Maui, but the most I ever got was very weak sub-threshold audio. I suspect with a decent antenna and conditions, this would propagate OK. (Salmaniw, Maui)

ETHIOPIA 9560.4, 1601-, Radio Ethiopia Jan 10 English programming with fair reception. At 1630, ID 'You are tuned to the external service of Radio Ethiopia.' Then Big Ben-type gongs, local and UTC time check, and into English news. (Salmaniw, Maui)

INDIA 3223, 1630-, AIR Shimla Dec 28 Good reception, presumed AIR. Pegs the meter, with Indian music into local language at 1630. (Salmaniw, Maui)

INDIA 3315, 1631-, AIR Bhopal Dec 28 Good reception with local talk. (Salmaniw, Maui)

INDIA 3945, 1708-, tent AIR Gorakhpur Dec 28 Excellent reception at 1708 with classical music, and into Indian music. (Salmaniw, Maui)

KYRGYZSTAN 4010, 1712-, Kyrgyz Radio 1 Dec 28 A very regular station in Maui around this time. Heard with Russian news at 1712 until 1714. Often quite good reception, but usually at fair level, fading up as the morning wore on. Parallel to much weaker 4795. Classical music at 1735. Listened on subsequent days for IDs at TOH, but did not hear any. Lots of mentions of 'tsentralnaya azeeya', including weather forecasts. (Salmaniw, Maui)

KYRGYZSTAN 4050, 1735-, Hit Shortwave Dec 28 This program does not appear to be regular. Some mornings around this time I could hear pop music (never as strong as 4010), but most mornings, all that is heard is local talk in a central Asian language, presumably Kyrgyz Radio's home service. (Salmaniw, Maui)

MADAGASCAR 3215, 1626-, AWR Dec 28 Generic AWR IS and multilingual ID before sign-off, using just the whip on my Sony 2010. Fair reception. (Salmaniw, Maui)

MADAGASCAR 5010, 0259-, RTV Malagasy Jan 7 NA and ID at 0259. Good reception. 10 January, heard at 1653 with French talk at good level. 'Radio Madagascar' ID at 1659, just before TOH. Parallel 3287.7 at poor level. (Salmaniw, Maui)

MADAGASCAR 7120, 0328-, Voice of the People Jan 7 Extremely strong signal with OC at 0328. 1000Hz tone for about 30 seconds, then into sign-on tune, then 'This is Radio Voice of the People. My name is....'. (Salmaniw, Maui)

MALI 11960, 1730-, Radio Nationale Malienne Jan 5 Very enjoyable French language programming. Many IDs for Radio Nationale, including on by a YL for a FM frequency. Canned ID starting at 1758, mentioning all SW frequencies, but suddenly off at 1759. Very strong reception. On 10 January, much weaker parallel of off channel 9633.4 heard at 1748. . (Salmaniw, Maui)

MYANMAR 5985.0, 1555-, Radio Myanmar Jan 10 EZL non-vocal music, then 'We have now come to the final transmission for the day. Good night.' Into NA. Good/very good. (Salmaniw, Maui)

MYANMAR 6570, 1605-, Myanmar Defence Forces Radio Jan 10 Good to very good reception with SE Asian vocals. (Salmaniw, Maui)

OMAN 15355, 0315-, Radio Sultanate of Oman Jan 7 Was one of my favourite stations on my last visit a few years ago to Hawaii. News headlines at 0315, then into a Hank Williams song. Same female DJ as in previous years. Birthday greetings at 0324 to Nicolas Cage, then happy birthday is sung. Not as strong as previous years. (Salmaniw, Maui)

RUSSIA 6085, 1756-, Radio Rossii Jan 10 Presumed Krasnoyarsk with Radio Rossii ID. Good reception. (Salmaniw, Maui)

RUSSIA 7200, 0618-, Radio Sakha, Yakutsk Dec 30 Heard most evenings while in Maui, but I never did hear any local IDs. I especially monitored at 10 min past the hour, as others have heard IS and IDs, but not here (including 0610, 0710, and 0810). This evening, they were playing 'Have yourself a merry little Christmas', then John Lennon's 'So this is Christmas'. Parallel to 7345. Fair to good. (Salmaniw, Maui)

SOUTH AFRICA 11985, 1830-, AWR Jan 5 5-5-5 reception via Meyerton with AWR's Wavescan program for the week of 2nd January. (Salmaniw, Maui)

SRI LANKA 15475, 0210-, SLBC Jan 7 End of English news and ID heard, followed by C&W music. No cochannel at this time. Fair reception. (Salmaniw, Maui)

TADZHIKSTAN 7245, 1645-, Radio Tadzhikstan Jan 6 Poor reception with IS and ID for the English service of the Tadzhik world service. Listened again on 10 January. IS was heard 4 times, with ID heard as 'This is the world service of Radio Tadzhikstan'. Transmitter is a bit buzzy. (Salmaniw, Maui)

UGANDA 5026, 0359-, Blue Channel Jan 7 First tuned in at 0335. A bit stronger at TOH with African music, then English news. Was parallel to weaker 4976 at 0400. Mentioned Uganda, but overall fair at best. Decreased levels by 0412. (Salmaniw, Maui)

UKRAINE 7375, 0417-, RUI Jan 7 Surprised to hear the Star Spangled Banner, and pledge of Allegience. Good to very good. Program was about the Peace Corps, serving in Ukraine (there are 600). Good to very good. Nice to hear the 1000 kw tx back on the air. (Salmaniw, Maui)

YEMEN 9780.4, 1758-, Radio Sana'a Jan 10 Interval signal with strong, clean modulation. Into NA, then ID in English, but unfortunately the speech was not clear and much weaker than the IS and NA. (Salmaniw, Maui)

ZAMBIA 4965, 1730-, Christian Voice Dec 28 5-5-5 signal with modern vocal Christian music. (Salmaniw, Maui)

ZAMBIA 6265, 1735-, Radio One Dec 28 What a joy it is to listen to this very entertaining station with local reception quality (it's useful to have Zambia at the antipode to Hawaii!). Loud 5-5-5 signal many hours after my local sunrise. Very lively African music. The following day at 1759, there's an amusing ad for 'Handyman's Paradise'. 'Hurry, hurry, limited stock'. They sponsor the English news at 1800 which is carried on both networks (R1 on 6265 and R2, the English network on 6165). Both frequencies exceptionally strong. This African station is my choice for pleasant background music!. (Salmaniw, Maui)