[HCDX] Pan-American DX logs for the evening of January 31, 2003

[HCDX] Pan-American DX logs for the evening of January 31, 2003

Hello to all of you !

Awesome condx to Latin America the past evening (January 31 EsT - February 1 UtC). A new country and a nearly positive log of Venezuela-910. The odd thing was that the big guns from Caracas and Barranquilia on 750 and 760 were very, very weakly received. But the other stations (even the less common ones) were fair to excellent. Nice !

Equipment: Sanyo MCD-S830 w/ ferrite bar antenna
QTH: Pierrefonds-Est (Montreal), Quebec, Canada

Into the logs:

530 Turks and Caicos,    Radio Vision Cristiana Internacíonal, Caicos  FEB 01 0128 - Excellent, then faded down a little bit to very good, w/ man in spanish about "Dios" + FEB 01 0155 - Excellent with a very nice plaintive spanish gospel rel. song followed by a detailed promo (gived phone number and address in Patherson, NJ). (Chiochiu-QC)

600 Cuba,   CMKV Radio Rebelde, Urbano Norris  FEB 01 0423 - Man in spanish with talk about Cuba. Initially fair-good, but rapidly fading down to Dominican Republic. (Chiochiu-QC)

600 Dominican Republic,   Santo Domingo  FEB 01 0425 and beyond 0444 when I decided to go sleeping - non-stop bachata and meringue music. Mostly very good and over the WICC/CMKV/YNLD mix most of the times (Chiochiu-QC)

600 Nicaragua,   YNLD, La Nueva Ya, Managua  FEB 01 0432 - briefly got woman in SS with news // to the live 365.com stream wich I was listening on my computer at the same time (with the sound of the computer speaker close to maximum as to keep the signal reach me up closer to my radio). Finally confirmed, nice ! (Chiochiu-QC)

640 Guadeloupe,   Radio Guadeloupe, Pointe-à-Pitre  FEB 01 0413 - Excellent with a somewhat steady signal and Venezuela just under. Possibly some WNNZ in there too, but too poor to be sure; with news report about a divorce. Always the strongest and the easiest non-spanish foreign DX here, by far !! (Chiochiu-QC)

670 Venezuela,   YVLL Radio Rumbos, Caracas DF  FEB 01 0253 - Spanish speach with a man about the bolivar (venezuelan currency). Couldn't understand much tough, due to a pretty annoyng 20 kHz het from local CINF-690 (50 kW, 8 miles away !). The signal was fairly good, tough. (Chiochiu-QC)

750 Venezuela,   YVKS, RCR, Caracas DF  FEB 01 0130 - presumed from hearing this one ona very regular basis. Man in Spanish; extremely poor and unreadable, way under an already weak WSB. (Chiochiu-QC)

760 Colombia,   HJAJ, RCN Barranquilia  FEB 01 0237 - Man in SS w/ apparent nx. Threshold audio and a fair carrer, so close to readable; don't understand why Colombian signals were nearly non-existent the past evening (Chiochiu-QC)

910 Venezuela,   YVRQ, Caracas DF  FEB 01 0246 - (p) with apparent promo; possible mention (s) of "AM Center", but not really sure. Faded up a bit from very threshold to threshold after the promo when a sonera salsa song was played + FEB 01 0326 - briefly tuned away from 600 to find strong signal w/ SS ballad, beating up WABI in Maine wich was dominating at that time. WABI was a bit too strong to put me away from the exciting run of Latins that happened on 600 at that time and also from the e-mail alerts I was sending to dx'er Matt L via LatinMWDX and for searching the Nueva Ya (YNLD) stream on live365.com, so 1 minute later I jumped back and forth beetwen my radio up and the computer down in the basement to listen for //s and giving alerts for 600. Maybe tonight if condx continue to be out-standing I would get this one clearly identified ! (Chiochiu-QC)

1570 unID  FEB 01 0447 - 2 stns one spanish domestics I have heard two weeks ago a legal EE ID (still need to review the tape I made of this) over a second SS mx station that was probably either XERF or TGVEA ? (Chiochiu-QC)

Domestic DX:

750 WSB Atlanta, GA  2030 EST - w/ Atlanta Braves game. Weak but over Venezuela (Chiochiu-QC)
1320 CKEC New Glasgow, NS 1854 EST - w/ ID beetwen two pop songs; moderate QRM from CJMR wich increased a bit after the ID (Chiochiu-QC)

Condx toward the Maritime Canadians weren't that good. I could not even get 1360 CKBC.

Well, that's it for now !,
I hope to do more listening tonight,
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu