Re: [HCDX] Status of Radio Illimani, Bolivia

Re: [HCDX] Status of Radio Illimani, Bolivia

Radio Illimani moved several years ago to the main
street of La Paz, also known as El Prado, and for
those hard-core users who wish to dip into the present
turmoil, listening to shots from firearms and excited
people talking in Spanish and Aymara, there is a
working real audio link at
http://illimani.comunica.gov:8000

Henrik Klemetz

 --- Don Moore <donmooredxer@xxxxxxxxx> skrev: > A
news article tells of riots in downtown La Paz.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=589&e=5&u=/ap/20030213/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/bolivia_police_mutiny

> If that direct link is broken and does not work, try
> this index link
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index2&cid=734
>
> Such violence is not new to central La Paz. I
> remember that a block away from
> Radio Illimani and in front of the presidential
> palace was a 1940s style
> lamppost that merited a 24 hour military guard. In
> 1947, rioters drug the
> country's then dictator out of the presidential
> palace and lynched him from
> that lamppost. From what I've read, he probably
> deserved what he got, but the
> Bolivian army didn't take it too well, so the
> lamppost became a shrine. The
> presidential palace is called the "Palacio Quemado",
> or "Burnt Palace" for what
> should be obvious reasons. During the successful
> 1952 revolution, Radio
> Illimani was quickly captured and became the rebels'
> communications center as
> fighting continued just two blocks away for three
> more days. For more on the
> often violent history of Bolivian radio, see my
> article
> "Bolivia: Radio Under the Gun" at
> http://donmoore.tripod.com/south/bolivia/miners.html
>

> =====
> Don Moore   ---   donmooredxer@xxxxxxxxx      <<<<
> NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS
> Radio & Latin American website:
> http://donmoore.tripod.com
> Other Highly Recommended:
> http://www.commondreams.org/
>
> http://www.tompaine.com/

> http://shopping.yahoo.com
>
> ---[Start Commercial]---------------------
>
> World Radio TV Handbook 2003 is out! Order it now!

> THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE IS FREE. It may be
> copied, distributed
> and/or modified under the conditions set down in the
> Design Science License
> published by Michael Stutz at
http://dsl.org/copyleft/dsl.txt

Gratis e-mail resten av livet på www.yahoo.se/mail