Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 11:29 AM
Subject: [HCDX] some MW and SW logs from the past evening

Report from Bogdan Chiochiu

4190 Edward Higgins
Pierrefonds, Quebec, Canada

Equipment:

 MW: Sanyo MCD-S830 w/ ferrite bar antenna
 SW: Sangean 606 w/ outdoor long-wire, connected massive parts of it (massive enough to not need a plug) to the antenna terminal instead of the telescopic whip, so no more overload !

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   Radio Vision Cristiana Internacional, South Caicos  FEB 25 0311 - Man talking in SS about God with a passionated voice. Very strong, but with some computer QRM (Chiochiu-QC)

600 DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, Santo Domingo  FEB 25 0241 - Presumed with LAm mx. Very poor w/ heavy QRM from WICC Bridgeport, possible Cuba and computer (s). (Chiochiu-QC)

640 VENEZUELA,   YVQO,  Union Radio, Puerto-La-Cruz, Anzàtegui  FEB 25 0254 - with items about Hugo Chavez followed by a news about narcotrafficants in Rio de Janeiro (almost the same nx as RCN carred a few minutes earlier). Good signal, but w/ moderate co-channel QRM (Chiochiu-QC)

640 CUBA,   Radio Progreso  FEB 25 0258 - Romantic ballad under Venezuela, probably played on the program Trios en la noche (Chiochiu-QC)

750 VENEZUELA, YVKS,  Caracas DF  FEB 25 0226 - Man announcer. Poor and very soon lost to almost nothing. This has got to be a very poor performer over the last few weeks here. In October and November they were often excellent and occasionally even almost local-like. Is it me, their power or just the poorer conditions ? (Chiochiu-QC)

760 COLOMBIA, HJAJ,  RCN Barranquilia  FEB 25 0243 - Good-strong. Woman w/ "Informacíon para Nocturna de RCN..." then ads. Very dominant signal with WJR nulled; the best South American signal on the MW and SW bands at the time ! + FEB 25 0252 - Talk about the judiciary process of the Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez, followed by an item about narco-trafficants in Rio de Janeiro (Chiochiu-QC)

4845 MAURITANIA,   Radio Mauritanie, Nouckchott  FEB 25 2254 - Man in AA. Fair with moderate fadings and some powerline noises; SIO 323 (Chiochiu-QC)

5010 DOMINICAN REPUBLIC,   Radio Cristal Int'l, Santo Domingo  FEB 24 2320-2345 +/-  - while playing chess with a friend and listening to the shortwave radio at the same time (without loocking at the clock) heard 2 meringue songs, local ads (one was for TV station "Canal 25"), Radio Pueblo IDs wich announced to be on MW-1510 and on SW followed by Radio Cristal Int'l ID (..."1510... amplitud modulada... banda tropical de 60 metros...). Very good reception; SIO 444-3 (Chiochiu-QC)

6070 CANADA,  CFRX, Toronto, ON  FEB 24 -2119+ - Traffic report. Frequent "CFRB" and "CFRB 10-10" IDs during listening. SIO 443 (with fadings); the strongest (and the only strong) 49 MB signal at this early time - it was before I begun my homework on maths. (Chiochiu-QC)

6180 BRAZIL,  Radio Nacional da Amazonia  FEB 24 2200 +/- with futboll + FEB 24 2306 - ID as "Radio Nacional da Amazonia" and mention of 49 and 25 MB frequencies after the nx (where I heard the first time mentions of narco-traffic in Rio) followed by more PP talk. Excellent, stronger than many major international broadcasters at the time; SIO 544. Tryed to get a // with 9665 but only heard splash from 9660 and 9670 (Chiochiu-QC)

It was fun to listen to the DX yesturday. There is something interessant to report on both the MW and SW bands; it's nice. This morning I couldn't get much due to the computer QRM, as many of you know - if I was less sleppy perphaps I could shut down the basement computer (wich window is close to the place in our yard we have the SW aerial - the QRM heard on MW DX was only from our neighborhoods and much less severe) and do some DX this morning as well... Well, maybe the next morning...

I would like to try to hear Radio New Zealand International. I tryed for 17675 kHz wich is a frequency listen in the Passport to World Band Radio handbook Hans Johnson sent to me, but I didn't heard anything. Does anyone know a better frequency for NZ ?

That's it for now !
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu