[HCDX] Latin American MW logs from last Wensday

[HCDX] Latin American MW logs from last Wensday

Bogdan Chiochiu from Montreal, QC
Equipment: Sanyo MCD-S830, ferrite bar antenna

530 TURKS AND CAICOS,   Radio Vision Cristiana  MAR 19 0336 - Noted in passing w/ Religious speech by a passionated man. Strong ! (Chiochiu-QC)

640 GUADELOUPE,   Radio Guadeloupe, Pointe-à-Pitre  MAR 19 0337 - talk in accented french about the disavantages of the war in Iraq, then time-check and Radio Guadeloupe ID. Very strong and alone on channel ! (Chiochiu-QC)

760 COLOMBIA,   HJAJ, RCN Barranquilla  MAR 19 0224 - Futboll game with many ads for things that sponsorise the match. Weak, but dominant. (Chiochiu-QC)

1180 CUBA,   Radio Rebelde, Villa-Maria  MAR 19 0118 - Initially very strong, but mostly buried under WHAM later through the evening. (Chiochiu-QC)

640 and 1180 were the only really loud signals, 530 wasa bit weaker however with a strong, but NOT VERY strong signal. The only other Latin reported was Colombia-760. Venezuela-750 and something on 610 I couldn't figure were also noted, but not enough for a report; Venezuela-750 had too much co-channel QRM from WSB to make anything understable and 610 had spanish-sounding music in mess with usual WIP (Radiodifusora Nacional de Colombia was a semi-regular on this channel during the 2000-2001 season).

This evening has just begun and I only get some spanish on the high-band frequencies and only from a handfull of spanish domestics in New England. Things should improove later this evening; we often get very good MW reception around the equinoxe; in the spring of 2001 I had a very huge auroral opening right on the 21 of March providing me with nearly excellent reception for many minutes of the above-mentioned Colombian on 610 and also many local "graveyard" channels wich contained almost no signals at all.

I encourage all of you to get around your radios tonight and see what kind of Latin American DX we might get on the AM band. Things don't really sound auroral from what I've heard a few minutes ago, but we should at least get some good equinoctial southern propagation, despite the lack of auroral activity.

That's it for now !,
73 and good DX,
Bogdan Chiochiu