Re: [HCDX] Latin American MW logs for the evening of APR 13 (APR 14 UTC)

Re: [HCDX] Latin American MW logs for the evening of APR 13 (APR 14 UTC)

Bogdan, you dont need that Radio Shack Loop. Make your own with about 8 turns of wire around a pizza box like a fellow did on another list

Or use Peter Stopa's instructions and make your antenna with slinkies
(I have ONE slinky stretched the length of my apartment and have received Riyadh and Australia in Orlando)

=====================================
SLINKY's  by: Peter J. Stopa
KA3LKQ reply via email to pjstopa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx CUL

http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/slinkypage.html

A slinky antenna was available several years ago for about $70. It
consisted of  two slinkies (Helical coiled steel wire) with a coaxial
balun.

Probably cost all of $5.00 to make. I have the same problem- need
an indoor antenna. I posted the use of a slinky vertical on the net
which I saw in 73 magazine a few back. Go to a toy store and get a
large slinky (about $3.50 for the metal variety. Elongate it vertical
over a 1x3, a dowel, etc., to about 6 feet. Tack it in place and
feed it from a tuner as if it were a long wire. I live in MD and the
first station I worked was CA while sitting in my bedroom (20 m on a
Saturday) using about 50 watts. You can try feeding it with coax,
with the braid  going to a quasi radial system in your attic.

I have also built a dipole using two slinkies and fed each side
directly with coax although a balun would help. I strung this mess
across the attic and use it routinely from 40 to 10 meters with decent
bandwith. The thing is real finicky on 75/80, though, and won't load
on 160. (The vertical did!)

Here are two CHEAP solutions to your problem- and they work okay. You
won't get a 5-9 +20 report from a submarine under the ice cap,
but it will keep you on the air.

I have 80 worked towards DXCC with this mess, which isn't bad. When
I posted it to the net, a guy sent me a private reply where he took
the flexible clothes dryer hose (vinyl with steel
wire inside, helically wound) and used as an SWL antenna.

I may go out and buy some, and try it with the rig. If all else fails, just get some wire
and through it around. Load it. But the slinky isn't
as messy and keeps the XYL off your back.

73's and Good Luck. de Peter J. Stopa
KA3LKQ reply via email to pjstopa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx CUL

  ;>)
 Yodar