[HCDX] Grayland, WA DXpedition loggings

Returned from another impromptu DXpedition with John Bryant and Nick Hall-Patch. Although nothing fantastic, as always the 3 days were filled with good company and unusual DX. Guy Atkins joined us for the Saturday afternoon. We used two Beverage antennae pointed West and North West, as well as a small active antenna constructed by Nick. We experienced a little of everything including lightning, winds, rains, cold temperatures, and then some beautiful sunny warm weather! For those of you not having experienced a DXpedition, I can highly recommend them. This is my fifth time to Grayland, and I'll be back for more. Where else can one listen all night long, and sleep during the day, and then doing it all again the next evening!............Walt.

PS: There's a little of everything here....long wave, MW, and SW. Enjoy!

INDONESIA 4869.96, 1054-1340, May 17 Very strong signal with country style vocals in ? language. Suspect Indonesian here, as it would match the style. Annoying pulses on USB, but LSB in the clear. No ID at TOH, however. Some sort of jingle at 11:02, but then immediately into another vocal of same genre. At 11:03 went into a 70s western pop song (Fleetwood Mack, I believe). Then another same vintage song 'Wonderful world, beautiful people'. 'Indonesia' at 11:15. Is this a freq change from RRI Sorong? RRI news at 1200 with many tx breaks. Finally off in mid-song at about 1340. Still very strong.

AUSTRALIA 1701.14, 1218-, 4?? Brisbane, Radio 1701 May 17 Fair signals on this Aussie X-bander. Listed as 100w. Possibly Radio 1701 from Brisbane? South Asian type music noted. Talk by YL at 1218. Nice strong signal at 1232, with Hindi music, so I wonder if this is the 100w Brisbanestation? Signal just booming in at 1225 18 May with Hindi music. Always amazing to me how propagation is so enhanced at dawn! Ad for 'fashion bazaar' with phone number. Ad for 'flaming grill' at 1231. Pretty sure I heard Brisbane mentioned as well before the ad.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 1725, 1226-, GA Goroka May 17 Fair reception of 50w aero beacon from Goroka in AM mode.

AUSTRALIA 11770, 1112-, HCJB Australia May 17 Excellent levels with English devotional vocals. Unshackled program at 11:30. Levels not quite as strong at this time.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 1737, 1229-, KUT Kutubu May 17 poor to fair reception of this 50 w aero beacon. Not as strong as 1725.

VIETNAM 6378.57, 1126-, Lai Chau May 17 Presumed logging with weak Vietnamese style music with much atmospheric noise. Poor overall. Much stronger carrier at 1255 recheck, and drifted to 6378.39. Modulation is still very low!.

JAPAN 6005, 1212-, NHK Sapporo May 17 Good reception, best in LSB with Japanese talk by male. Not a bad signal for a 600w transmitter, in a crowded band!.

VIETNAM 5034.77, 1247-, Voice of Vietnam 3rd program May 17 Hmong Service with fair reception, classical music. Parallel to much stronger 6165. A question re the latter. If I recall, Saigon used to have a tx on this (or was it 6160?). Is this the same tx? Brief talk by YL at 1250 and into local vocal.

USA 1660, 1403-, KTIQ, Merced, CA May 17 Multiple ads for Auto tone, travel agency, Sears, etc. ID at 1406 as the Ticket. Fair/good.

USA 1610.03, 1414-, talking house May 17 Weakly heard tape loop, mentioning the 'Hi...This is the nice three bedroom...well placed. All new windows. Well cared for.For those...come have a look at it', and a phone number 360- 580-111?6 or 7. Again,....?$69,500...Take a look, and thank you very much.' Best in LSB. Increased in strength during the day. I sent out John Bryant to locate the transmitter and he confirmed the location as being approximately 2.6 km from this location! Not bad for 100 mw. Coastal effect? Location was an empty trailer with a small sign in the window mentioning 1610 for more information (I have a jpeg of this). Could not see any transmitter anywhere through any of the windows, so I'm assuming it was plugged into an electrical outlet in the bathroom. Not bad, as the trailer was enveloped in aluminum siding. A new method of dxing for me....going TO the tx location! Now for a QSL ;).

AUSTRALIA 15515, 0306-, Radio Australia May 18 Fair to good signals with Roger Broadbent hosting RA's 'Feedback' program regarding funding shortfalls. Shepparton is shutting down next week (for maintenance) Transmission lines need to be replaced.Tuesday and Wednesday 20 to 21 May, from 0500 to 0900 Tuesday. Later from 2100 for 12 hours there will be a reduction in frequencies available.. Also on 16 June, Radio Sweden will also begin DRM via Sackville 3 1/2 hours per day to ECNA in English.

USA 7385, 0329-, WRMI May 18 English ID and into Viva Miami interviewing Alan Graham, host of DXPL.7385. Mentioned DXPL began on May 29, 1961. English will continue targetting a missionary audience in the mornings to Latin America. At 0352 it was announced, HCJB Australia has confirmed that HCJB will continue to carry DXPL as long as HCJB Ecuador can continue to produce the program. To go out in the NA mornings in the weekend block.

BOLIVIA 6134.76, 0916-, Radio Santa Cruz May 18 tentative logging with Spanish programming at fair level. No ID heard, however.

CHILE 6089.96, 0926-, Radio Esperanza May 18 Fair signal with modern religious vocals, followed by brief talk, then into English song, 'My Girl'.

ECUADOR 3279.56, 0945-, La Voz del Napo May 18 Quechua language programming heard at good to very good levels, with mentions of Maria, Israel. No ID at TOH, but a very long prayer, with many, many mentions of Gracias Senor,....Good ID in Spanish by male at 10:07 as 'Radiodifusora cultural la Voz del Napo'. Mentioned Padre Salomon.

GUATEMALA 3300, 1009-, Radio Cultural May 18 TGNA. Lively Latin music at good levels. 5955 not heard in parallel.

JAPAN 3373.5, 1018-, NHK Mihara May 18 Fair reception of this 300w back up USB tx of NHK Osaka 2, with Japanese talk by mostly YL, with occasional interjection by OM. Lots of splatter. This one usually heard better in the depths of winter.

JAPAN 3607.5, 1027-, NHK , Shobu-Kuki Tokyo May 18 Good reception with lively talk between a man and a woman. Lots of laughter, and music. 900 w USB back up transmitter for NHK Tokyo 1. Good reception.

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 4890, 1034-, NBC Port Moresby May 18 PNG bandscan. Good to very reception with prayer in English. Splatter from RTM Malaysia. Then an American religious song 'Celebrate Jesus' name'.

PNG 2410, 1037-, Radio Enga May 18 Not on the air.

PNG 3905, 1038-, Radio New Ireland May 18 Strong signals with Pidgin religous programming.

PNG 3850, 1039-, Radio Independent Makumui May 18 Not heard today.

PNG 3395, 1041-, Radio Eastern Highlands May 18 Not on air.

PNG 3385, 1042-, Radio Eastern New Britain, Rabaul May 18 Not on air.

PNG 3375, 1043-, Radio Western Highlands, Mount Hagen May 18 Not on air.

PNG 3365, 1044-, Radio Milne Bay, Alotau May 18 Not on air.

PNG 3355, 1045-, Radio Simbu, Kundiawa May 18-19 A messy frequency, but they don't appear to be on the air. Lot's of splatter from Indo just above this frequency. 19 May: 09:16 At fair to good levels with Port Moresby relay of National news in English.

PNG 3345, 1046-, Radio Northern, Popondetta May 18 Nothing here except RRI, Ternate on 3344.85 with strong signal.

PNG 3335, 1049-, Radio East Sepik, Wewak May 18 Excellent reception with a radio play in Pidgin.

PNG 3325, 1051-, Radio Bougainville, Kubu May 18 Relatively strong signal with many mentions of Bougainville under music, which I thought might be RRI Palangkaraya, but then they played a Christian hymn. Still there does appear to be two stations co-channel.

PNG 3315, 1055-, Radio Manus, Lorengau May 18-19 Not on air. May 19: Good reception with National news via Port Moresby in English.

PNG 3305, 1115-, Radio Western, Daru May 18 Very weak het only, so I presume not on air? Needs more investigation to confirm. Anyone in Australia/NZ able to confirm? When rechecked at 1138, they were on the air, with a fair signal with local music, then Pidgin announcement. Did hear 'Voice of ?'. Will have to listen to the MD recording. Lots of Ute QRM on this freq. Rapidly faded way down to poor levels within a minutes, concurrent to QRM going way up! Still could make out 'Sunday evening'. Sounded like sign-off announcements at 1155, then dead air for about a minute, then back in Pidgin, with mentions of 5:00. Broadcasting to the people of the Western province from our studios in Daru. Radio Western ID. This was in English. Followed by National Anthem at good level, now over the pesky ute. Off at 1200:45.

PNG 3290, 1118-, Radio Central, Boroko May 18 Good signal with islands music, and Pidgin talk.

PNG 3275, 1119-, Radio Southern Highlands, Mendi May 18 Good reception with EZL music. They must have paid their electrical bills, as I have them as previously off air for non-payment of the bill. Fair amount of static, and lower modulation when announcer came on. Did hear 'good night'. In Pidgin. Only at fair level due to the static and low modulation.

PNG 3260, 1121-, Radio Madang May 18 Not on air. Only slop from NHK, Kasuga 600w relaying JOLK, Fukuoka 1 in USB at good levels.

PNG 3245, 1126-, Radio Gulf, Kerama May 18 Not on air.

PNG 3235, 1127-, Radio West New Britain, Kimbe May 18 Excellent levels with local choral hymn.

PNG 3220, 1129-, Radio Morobe, Lae May 18 Weak het, then Russian fishermen came on with excellent levels in USB. Presumed not on the air. 19 May: Same Russian fishermen. On LSB there is something very weakly heard, but I doubt PNG.

PNG 3204.97, 1131-, Radio West Sepik, Vanimo May 18 Good levels with Pidgin talk and local music.

AUSTRALIA 1665, 1235-, 2MM, Sydney May 18 Weak Greek music heard from this 400 watter. Terrible splash from NA X-banders.

INDIA 9620.42, 1312-, All India Radio May 18 AIR listed in Sindhi from Aligarh with 125,000w on this variable off frequency with Indian music. Parallel to much weaker 11585 Bangalore with 500 kw. Drifted upto 9620.48 within a few minutes. Good overall. 9620.54 at 13:26.

UZBEKISTAN 7285, 1330-, Radio Tashkent May 18 Radio Tashkent comes up with the short straw here. IS is just audible before their English broadcast (I could hear no other parallels....a sign of declining sunspots and MUFs, unfortunately). Then totally overpowered by Voice of Vietnam sign-on with listed Cambodian at good level.

AUSTRALIA 13635, 1336-, Voice International, Darwin May 18 Good to very good reception in Hindi with modern Hindi music. Very enjoyable!.

USA 1610, 1403-, TIS May 18 Weather forecast loop, then information about the Columbia River bridge. Fair at times, but mostly poor amongst the cancophany of other stations. 1611 stations from Australia still causing a het. Computer generated voice as well 'double U double U...'.

USA/HAWAII/LATIN AMERICA 10000, 1417-, May 18 WWVH and WWV fighting it out with Spanish speakers (?drug trafickers) on USB. At least equal in strength. Unwelcome pests!.

MYANMAR 5985.81, 1423-, Radio Myanmar May 18 After some time on exactly 5985, and also 5986, I'm again hearing Myanmar on there long-standing old frequency. Fair to almost good reception with Burmese music.

SINGAPORE 9740, 1437-, BBCWS May 18 5-5-5 signal with an English phone-in show. Great frequency choice for WCNA. Listed until 1600.

ANGUILLA 11775, 2124-, Caribbean Beacon May 18 Didn't know that they had a daytime frequency. Good reception with usual monologues with prolonged musical interludes. Parallel 13845 via Nashville at very good levels.

COSTA RICA 9724.90, 0100-, University Network May 19 Good reception from Costa Rican transmitter. Parallels are 5935 from Nashville (fair) and 6090 from Anguilla (fair).

FRANCE 13610, 0409-, Radio France International May 19 English programming to Africa at fair level, marred by long/short path echo. Parallel to Gabon 9550 at poor level.

GERMANY 13810, 0412-, Radio Africa International (United Methodist Church) May 19 Excellent reception with French language African programming. Lovely strong, clean modulation with perfect easy to follow French.

RWANDA 11945, 0415-, Deutsche Welle May 19 Excellent reception of DW to Africa via Kigala, Rwanda. Parallel to equally strong 15410 via Wertachtal, and 7225 at fair level via Rwanda.

SOUTH AFRICA 3255, 0433-, BBCWS May 19 English programming via Meyerton at fair levels.

SOUTH AFRICA 3320, 0435-, South African Broadcasting Corportation May 19 Despite my listings stating that this is Radio Sonder Grense in Afrikaans, what I am hearing at weak level is English.

NIGERIA 7255, 0454-, Voice of Nigeria May 19 Excellent reception with very drawn out Interval signal and occasional, 'You are listening to the Voice of Nigeria'. Into National Anthem at 0456. Into French language programming. At same time 15120 comes on with English at fair level.

GUYANA 3291.24, 0932-, Voice of Guyana May 19 Haven't seen this one reported for a while. A presumed logging with Hindi music at poor levels.

BOLIVIA 4876.71, 0959-, Radio La Cruz del Sur May 19 Fair + reception, but need to use USB to avoid nasty QRM. Bolivian music until TOH, then somewhat garbled audio in Spanish (?).

COLOMBIA 5958.45, 1034-, CARACOL Villavicencio May 19 Fair signal with many time checks in Spanish, and mentions of Colombia. News features. Best in LSB. A difficult frequency. CARACOL and noticias mentioned at 1037:30.

SINGAPORE 6150, 1052-, Radio One May 19 Strong reception, best in LSB with English financial news. A 'Slice of Life' at 1056 about unemployment. Then ad for Channel news radio, then traffic watch....'a broken lorry on Mount Batton way'. Weather forecast, hazy and warm (low 27, high 32). News from Radio Singapore International at TOH.

USA (ALASKA) 529, 1107-, SQM May 19 Strong signal in CW for SQM: ... _ _ . _ _ _ .

USA (ALASKA) 530, 1111-, ADK May 19 Good reception with CW ADK: . _ _ .. _ . _ . Minor cochannel from TIS.

USA (ALASKA) 524, 1115-, MNL Valdez May 19 Fair reception, best in USB for MNL: - - -. .-..

JAPAN 3373.5, 1137-, NHK, Mihara May 19 USB back up 300 watt transmitter for Osaka 2. English lesson about whales. Good with a fair amount of atmospheric static. ID for NHK at 11:40. No SW parallels noted.

JAPAN 3970, 1141-, NHK Sapporo 1 May 19 Good reception of this 600 w back up USB transmitter carrying NHK 1. Parallels include 3259 (600 w NHK Kasuga), 3607.5 (900 w NHK, Shobu-Kuki, Tokyo). Latter is best with good/very good reception. At 1255 recheck, 3607.5 and 3970 are no longer in parallel. At top of hour, back in parallel. Also parallel to 6005 (600 w Sapporo 1). At 1300 all transmitters are off except 3970 which continues despite scheduled sign-off.

RUSSIA 180, 1214-, Radio Rossii May 19 Petropavlovsk at weak strength with Russian talk.

RUSSIA 279, 1221-, Radio Rossii May 19 Also noted Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk in parallel to 180 but slightly out of sync with Russian programming. Poor, but better than 180.

JAPAN 6005, 1223-1230, NHK May 19 No ID on sign-off after Japanese female vocal. 600w Sapporo 1 transmitter.