RE: [HCDX] Re: Hard-Core-DX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 23

RE: [HCDX] Re: Hard-Core-DX Digest, Vol 6, Issue 23

> When radio came around in the twenties Europe was - and is still
> despite  the efforts for a European Union -
> a continent which is split into some fourty countries. Countries,
> not radio stations overseen by e.g. the FCC, divided up the MW
> band in the twenties, and as you know WWII, suceeded by the the
> Cold War made it impossible to change anything. European
> countries have more or less kept all old frequncies and their
> right to broadcast with so and so much ERP.

I think it's important to point out that the structure of broadcasting in
Europe differs fundamentally from that in the US. Most, if not all, European
countries have *national* radio services, whereas the US has networks of
local stations. If there are no local variations from network programmes, a
single high power mediumwave or longewave transmitter can serve a radius of
several hundred kilometres day and night. In the case of smaller countries
one transmitter can serve the whole country. There are certainly political
issues involved too, but the primary decision on using high power
transmitters was originally a technical one.

Andy Sennitt.