[HCDX] DRM on 9795

I bought the DRM software over the weekend and got the license key yesterday.  I didn't have time to build a 467 kHz oscillator, so I used my old HP 606 signal generator as an LO.  I opened my Icom R100 and installed a coax cable from the 455 IF, using a coupling cap...  I brought that out to a minicircuits GRA-1 mixer that I bought on eBay.  Using the signal from the 606 and the 455 IF, that produced a signal centered at 12 kHz that I fed into my sound card.

I put on Radio Canada on 9.795 MHz yesterday afternoon at 1930 or 2000 UTC (I don't remember) and listened to the sign on tune, they mentioned the DRM technology and then I just heard the white noise.  Next thing I look at the computer and the sync light came on, then data and audio.  Showing a signal to noise raio of 18 dB.  Sound quality was real good.  But instead of fading and jamming and stuff, there were little twangs in the audio every so often.  Maybe from a fade or somethng in the RF..

I used to work for Sirius Satellite Radio and know the digital side as well as the RF, but digital AM over shortwave...  I never thought it would happpen, but it's here.

Regards,

Bob

http://members.fortunecity.com/w2eny

Do you Yahoo!?