[HCDX] band conditions and antenna questions

[HCDX] band conditions and antenna questions

Hi
Tonight band conditions below 6 mhz seem to be really bad.Hardly any MW
to speak of,and nothing really coming through on 90 or 60 except for
Quito  on 60 and maybe Ghana as well.Going up to  6 mhz ,signals are
somewhat improved.That 6020 station,Radio Victoria is audible but  not
nearly as good a signal as other night.Mexico is  somewhat audible on
6185.Tonight is definitely not the night to use the 23 ft vertical,too
much noise .

However I did get my long wire up higher  yesterday,I now have the feed
point at about 20 feet high ,tied off to the  chimney sloping down to
about 5 feet high at the end.I just need a 20 ft pole or something  that
height to even it up and I hope to be set.

I do have a question about making a loop antenna. Can they work just
laid out on the ground or  do they need to be elevated? I have  a good
sized side yard here  approximately 200 feet  from  front to back ,but
only about 40 to 50 feet, if that , from side to side.Would like to see
what I can get going  on some various antennas that aren't too big but
going further than just a vertical or long wire.
--
Chris
Dx'ing from Lousiville Ky