[HCDX] dB-S units, was: Radio Conakry

Hello Chris,

Saturday, July 5, 2003, 9:13:14 AM, you wrote:

> Which comes to my next question. How is the dB compared to an s unit?
> Someone long ago once told me,but my  brain cells aren't working  too
> well.
> On the hunt for Africans and hopefully some South Americans.

I hope I remind correctly: 6 dB corresponds to one S meter step, based
on the RST code which is used by radio amateurs (ranging from 1 - 9).

To achieve a 6 dB difference of the signal level at the receiving side
it is necessary to increase the transmitter power by 400 per cent.

So if a station is using 100 kW and your S meter shows S6 (RST code,
not SINFO), 400 kW were needed to produce a S7 signal.

vy 73,

Willi

--
     _/_/ http://www.radio-portal.org