[HCDX] Logs from New Bruntswick

Hello to all of you !

I was so sad about my broken Sanyo MCD-S830 portable that I forgot to tell about my vacation trip to N.-B. that ended up yesturday. I did bring a few radios though and my Sangean 606 was one of them, as well as my long-wire antenna.

We did stay in Shediac Bridge, 30 kilometers NNE of Moncton in a cottage. The highlight was getting some TA stuff on the evening of July 15. The lowlight was that I discovered that my old Phillips transistor that I have from my grandmother is no longer working as well, just like the Sanyo. The question now is with all these problems, should I retire from the DX hobby until I`ll have one of the radios repaired ?

The logs below were made using the Sangean 606 rx in our back-yard with the long-wire antenna up on the yard end. I could not stay with the radio in the front yard because the houseowner saied that the wire was dangerous for the other vacationers. In our back-yard I could only aim the antenna E/W as there wasn`t any object to support the wire on a N/S direction, hence the lack of Latin American MW DX and the irreliable, but still intriguing and somewhat impressive TA MW receptions and the very good quality of African 60m band DX with stations such as Burkina Faso-5030 litterally booming in !

Here is some of the DX that I managed to hear with the aforementionated equipment. Without doubt having the Sanyo MCD-S830 portable fixed will be much better; to get the red tuning on and audio without receiver threshold sensitivity hiss on 1215 I had to put

1089 UNITED KINGDOM,   Talk Radio, synchros, JUL 16 0133 - Very tentative; het against WBAL-1090 and some audio w/ talk. Audio was best received on 1086 and had a very, very dull sound making it impossible to understand. (Chiochiu-NB)

1215 UNITED KINGDOM,    Virgin Radio, synchros, JUL 16 0056 - Tentative; Man w/ a British EE accent (too poor and too much QRM to understand much though) and rock music. Very poor to occasionally poor and some side-band splash from VOAR-1210 and CFVM-1220. Initially I thought this was an overspill from VOAR-1210, but when I realized that VOAR was huge with Big Band music, when I tuned to 1220 there was CFVM with FF hockey and that the man that I could detect on 1215 had a British accent, well I was astonished ! (Chiochiu-NB)

1296 SPAIN, COPE, Valencia, JUL 16 0051 - Very tentative; bits of Spanish in huge splash from an unID ESPN Radio station on 1300 (the same that is audible nightly here in Montreal). (Chiochiu-NB)

1503 unID, JUL 16 0130 - Het, too much WTOP ACI and too weak for audio. (Chiochiu-NB)

1575 unID, JUL 16 0136 - At fair level with classical music. (Chiochiu-NB)

4885 BRAZIL

4915 GHANA and 2 Brazilian stations, all strong !

4845 MAURITANIE - excellent when checked

4985 BRAZIL

5030 BURKINA FASO - strong signal, each late afternoon until s/off

5047 TOGO - strong signal but with poor audio

6030 CUBA, bubble jammer - very often almost completly covering Marti

6070 CFRX - probably the EE talker heard around sunSET (despite Toronto was way before sunset ?) with very intense jamming from 6065 and 6075

6085 Bayerischer Rundfunk - very good on mid-to-late afternoons

6160 CKZN, St. John`s, NF - very strong day-time signal all the times with extremely few fadings

9645.9 (obviously better on 9646 than on 9645) Radio Bandeirantes, Sao Paulo

15300 RFI to Africa - excellent reception just before s/off at 0000 UTC

Well, that`s it for now !
73 and good DX,
Bogdan