[HCDX] Response to - Is Computer Logging DX?

[HCDX] Response to - Is Computer Logging DX?

Thanks to all those people who responded to my original post 'is Computer Logging DX?.

It generated quite a bit of healthy discussion.

My personal feeling is
'Web Listening' is not 'DX' as I or most in the hobby group know it and they shouldn't get a current style QSL card.
However it is a very personal hobby and you make of it what you want - whether you DX or listen to Shortwave, Mediumwave, FM/TV , Utilities , Satellite and maybe now the Internet?

And we as the DX Community may need to acknowledge the fact that some people are listening and maybe collecting acknowledgements via the Internet and cater for them in the future?

And as John Wright in Australia pointed out - maybe the DX Clubs should prepare an information pack for posting or email enlightening those that send in Internet logging reports to the joys of proper radio DX/listening and information on joining a DX Club?

Also the person is still a listener of RNZI and is requesting some sort of acknowledgement and other station information, maybe RNZI will have to develop a new 'Thank you for listening to us via the Web or Internet' email or attachment. and if the person wants a sticker or other hard copy information they can use Pay Pal or something similar to cover normal postage if required.

We must also acknowledge that for many larger Broadcasters the days of needing 'reception reports' has long gone due to dedicated monitors or remote monitoring of signal strength from receivers based in the target area.
Some now are more interested in 'Programming' feedback.

The issuing of a QSL from a station is a 'courtesy' and not a right. Something we should always remember.

Yes the times they are a changing - will we as a hobby group adapt with them or disappear?

Mark Nicholls
Chief Editor
New Zealand DX Times
New Zealand Radio DX League

http:www.radiodx.com

Radio New Zealand International have recently received a Reception report requesting a QSL from an Internet logging on a Pentium 4 Computer.
It raises some interesting points on whether logging a station is really DX and worth a QSL?

Any genuine feedback or comment will be passed on to Radio NZ International

Hi Mark

RNZI has received this reception report requesting a QSL. As you will see
the receiver was a Pentium 4 1.7 ghz. computer - I had a chuckle about it,
but the guy is quite serious. I would be interested to know from the amateur
community what they think?

My view is a QSL card was intended to acknowledge the expertise of an
operator of a short-wave radio in hearing a distant station. Surely clicking
on a URL does not count??????!!

Some may call me old fashioned, but I would appreciate feed-back on this
issue!

Cheers

Adrian