Re: [HCDX] Vatican Radio Site: was Computer logging

Re: [HCDX] Vatican Radio Site: was Computer logging

Hi !
according to my (sorry, nothing official) all territories of the Vatican
belongs to the Vatican State, not only the "inner" city about the Dome in
downtown Rome. There are many vatican "areas" which do not belong to Italy,
e.g. some guest houses, churches/etc., schools/universities (e.g. the North
American College. All of these areas are administrated by the vatican
telecommunication authority, and they (the Vatican) issue licences for radio
operations. Amateur radio OPs also use only HV callsigns from these patchwork
of territories in and around Rome, e.g. HV4NAC (Club station of the North
American College), HV5PUL (Club station of the Pontificia University
Lateranese), also once the Vatican Observatory had an own HV callsign. I
remebered many years ago a german amateur radio OP operated with an italian
licence from a church guesthouse many kilometers away from the Vatican City,
he and the italian "PTT" got much much trouble as this "hotel" belongs to the
Vatican (none [the german and the italian] of them did knows that at this
time).
HCDX list for any official position) all of these buildings/garden/Cemitary
(I remember a TV report of a german church owed grave yeard which is also
vatican territory) in and around are real vatican state territories.

I asked some months ago Vatican Radio by email and they told me that they ONLY
use the Santa Maria di Galleria site for their SW transmissions this time. The
only other TX site is a medium wave transmitter in the Vatican Gardens on 1260
kHz with 5 kW - Got a QSL for this one, with the "QTH and TX details" written
on the card (via the german section of RV).

73, Tom - DL8AAM