Re: [HCDX] Any AM stations off tonight leaving DX oportunities?

Re: [HCDX] Any AM stations off tonight leaving DX oportunities?

Marie:

The bands seemed "quieter" last night when I was tuning around.  I
suspect it was because many of the lower power stations in smaller
communities were off the air for want of an emergency generator.  I kept
the dial on 740 for some time hoping that the CBC affiliate in Winnipeg
might punch through, but no luck.  Had this happened in the winter, I
think we might have had better DX...but then again, we would have all
been shivering too!  :-)

Locally, here in the Albany area, it was hit or miss.  The local NPR
powerhouse--WAMC, whose main transmitter is located on Mt. Greylock in
the Berkshires of western MA but whose studios and control room
facilities are in Albany--suffered "brownouts" all evening.  The
transmitter would be on, but at times programming was interrupted.  WGY
810 was down for a very short while, but then kicked in its emergency
generator which had it on at reduced power from its normal 50kW. The
Clear Channel (the co., not the frequencies) stations in the area all
tacked to WGY whether they were on AM or FM.  (It really becomes apparent
who the station owners are when something like this happens.)  Some of
the CC stations clearly lacked back-up because they were down and stayed
down for some time.  I suppose CC considers some of its stations in a
community "essential" and provides a way for them to stay on the air.

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY

> Here in Syracuse, I find that 740 from Toronto is still off the air;
this
> is normally heard very well here even in the daytime, but I cannot hear
it
> at all as of 0247 UTC.
>
> 73,
>
> Marie Lamb
>
> I think you have everything you need.  If not, you'll just have to fake
> it.--Don Dolloff, WCNY Classic FM, 2002.
>
> Never a dull moment; if there is one, chances are I'm not around.--Marie
> Lamb, WAER Jazz 88, 2002.
>
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 J999w@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Any one?
> >
> > jw
> > wb9uai
> > milwaukee
> ---[Start Commercial]---------------------
>
> World Radio TV Handbook 2003 is out! Order it now!
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0823059677/hardcoredxcom

> THE INFORMATION IN THIS ARTICLE IS FREE. It may be copied, distributed
> and/or modified under the conditions set down in the Design Science
License
> published by Michael Stutz at http://dsl.org/copyleft/dsl.txt

This message was sent using Road Runner's Web-based
e-mail.