[HCDX] Fw: RCA RP-3710 Digital AM/FM Radio For $18.49

[HCDX] Fw: RCA RP-3710 Digital AM/FM Radio For $18.49

  As promised I put the RCA RP-3710 digital AM/FM clock radio through the DX grinder last night. First of all sensitivity with the internal loop stick is surprisingly good, with very deep nulling possible off the ends of the loopstick. Selectivity is also very good. I tuned to the local 5 kw pest on 910 kc a few miles away and there was no splatter on 900 or 920 kc, I was amazed. With the internal loopstick antenna I was able to null out WBBR NYC and WWBR Bartow, FL on 1130kc and hear KWKC in Shreveport, LA. in the clear.
  I'm not interested in FM DX so only checked local stations and all is okay there and sound is very good on AM and FM from the tiny front mounted speaker. As it's meant to be an alarm clock first, there is no external antenna input or audio output for headphones. Also no provision for battery operation but it does have 9 volt battery back up for time and memories.
  The digital frequency readout is LCD and approximately 1" high, which is easy on my eyes as I'm half blind in one eye and deaf in the other????? It also has a backlit display that is adjustable for brightness and 11 memories for AM and 11 for FM. It makes one wonder why RCA could put digital readout in an under $19 clock radio but GE could not do the same on it's Super Radio's I, II and III.
  I also put the radio it on the 2 foot box loop and man did it ever come alive for stateside DX, when I tuned for resonance via inductive coupling. It heard everything that my FT-840 and 130 foot inverted L did, including KOA 850 kc at times through the fading and blanketing auroral conditions.
  By the dimensions are 5 1/2" wide, 4" tall and 3" deep. See included photo.

http://www.kn4lf.com/rcaradio.jpg

73,
Thomas F. Giella
Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
C/S KN4LF
4208 Thackery Way
Plant City, FL, USA 33566
EL87WX

KN4LF Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive &
Daily HF/MF Radio Propagation Outlook:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm

KN4LF 160 Meter Amateur Radio Resources & More:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf.htm

Florida Space & Atmospheric Weather Institute:
http://www.kn4lf.com/fsawi.htm