RE: [HCDX] Re: Antipodal Focusing

At 09:36 AM 9/6/2003 +1200, Marcelo Toniolo wrote:

Hello Glenn

Perhaps this was a misunderstanding and Thomas used incorrect words to
explain a correct thinking.
I just checked GeoClock and a Sunrise in Florida at this time of the
year corresponds to almost a perfect Sunset in Bangkok, Thailand.

Yes, Thailand is not geographically antipodal of USA but they match a
Sunset/Sunrise Gray Line and this explains the good propagation noticed
by Thomas.

I think that both Glenn and Marcello are correct. I've been fascinated in antipodal dxing for some time, and in my experience, it does have to be very close to the actual antipode to work. Two examples come to mind. I heard Radio Liberty/Free Europe via Portugal/Spain while travelling in New Zealand in 1984, using a tiny Sony analog portable and just it's whip. 5-5-5 signal, and no sign of the terrible Soviet jamming of those years. Secondly, in Hawaii, one can hear Zambia similarly many hours after sunrise, using just the whip at very strong levels on 60 and 49 meters. You guessed it, the antipode is Zambia. Now, the same reception is not possible with other south African, or east African stations. They come in about the same level as here in the Pacific North West. This is true at different times of the year as well (between November and April at least)..........Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, Canada.