[HCDX] Where's the Beef? Propagation update, 1820Z 25-X-2003

[HCDX] Where's the Beef? Propagation update, 1820Z 25-X-2003

Well,

where's the beef?  Er, where's the storm?  Just as I stated, this was a non-
event.  No historically major storm took place.

Just as I had predicted, the bands are hopping, today.  I live in a valley
surrounded by mountains on three sides.  I use a dipole antenna.  I am hearing
many stations on 10 meters, even more on 15, and a huge amount on 20.  I have
worked N/S paths, like TI5A and LT1F, on 10 meters.  They report propagation as
being moderate to good.

At the time of my writing this, the figures are:

10.7-cm Flux: 191
Ap: 36
Kp: 3 (36 nT)
Solar Wind: 511 km/s at 2.2 protons/cm3
On 2003 Oct 25 1813Z: Bz: 10.8 nT

Looking at the trend of the Kp at several reporting locations, the highest was
5, most were 3 or 4, since last night.

The latest flare was a C-class.  There is a chance, still, of a more powerful
flare.  So far, though, we have had great sailing.

On the shortwave bands, last night and this morning, conditions were fair.  I
heard some paths open that have not normally been open.  Other paths were
closed, that normally were open.  This follows with the way conditions are
going.

There is a chance for a glancing blow from a passing CME sometime late today and
tomorrow.  The Bz might turn negative during such a grazing passage of the CME,
so we might have some elevation in the Kp late today and early tomorrow.
However, conditions should continue to be useful for the contest period.

At least, in my humble opinion.

73 de Tomas, NW7US (AAR0JA/AAM0EWA)
--
: Propagation Editor, CQ/CQ VHF/Popular Communications Magazines :
: http://hfradio.org/ -- http://prop.hfradio.org/ -- Brinnon, WA :

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is coming out! Preorder yours now! Only $20.97 through us.