[HCDX] Fwd: Radio for Peace under Siege

I just received this from a free speech activists.
lh

About 2 hours ago today (Monday) I received a call from the general Manager of Radio for Peace INternational (via cell phone).

He, James Lathem, told me that the United Nation's University for Peace has begun today to use agressive means to force the shut down of this progressive radio station in Costa Rica.

At noon they cut off the water supply to the remaining 8 staff and volunteers holed up in the building. Four hours later the University cut the telephone lines.

The security guards have turned away reporters and cameramen who have come out to try to enter the campus.

Since the University is owned by the United Nations, they are claiming immunity from all laws and law enforcement; the station has little power against this major act of censorship.

Radio for Peace International is the only shortwave radio station that airs Democracy Now, Free Speech Radio News, Alternative Radio, Counterspin, Making Contact, Radio Nation, TUC Radio, and many more.

These programs are heard in every part of the world, at least 120 countries of the world. This is an outrage. Please spread the word and write to Koffi Annan at the United Nations (annan@xxxxxx) to intervene. If anyone can assist these folks in any way possible, these people who provide us, the world, with this important media resource, please, now is the time.

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is coming out! Preorder yours now! Only $20.97 through us.