[HCDX] Voice of Justice - Iran

Some clarification regarding Voice of Justice/Voice of the Islamic Republic
of Iran, based on my monitoring of their satellite streams (Hotbird 13°
east/12437 MHz/Horizontal) on 15th November:

The 1030-1130 English broadcast is beamed to Azerbaijan and the Indian
subcontinent and identifies as "Voice of the Islamic Republic of Iran"
throughout. Their website lists SW frequencies as 15480, 15550, 21470 kHz.

This is followed at 1130-1230 by a separate English broadcast for North
America (unlisted on IRIB's website), announcing just two frequencies, 6035
and 9835 kHz. This is quite early for that part of the world, but the time
of this broadcast is announced as 0130-0230 UTC! Identification throughout
this broadcast is "the Voice of Justice broadcast, from the Islamic Republic
of Iran", but the gong, signature tune, incidental music by Vangelis, etc.,
are as used in other VIRI broadcasts.

As for the Voice of Justice ID being heard on frequencies such as 15550 kHz,
I think this can be explained by the engineers at VIRI often being very
tardy in switching off or retuning their transmitters at the nominal end of
transmission on a given frequency - on occasion I've heard a VIRI World
Service broadcast on an apparent "new" frequency, only to find it
disappearing after the first 5-10 minutes. So I would suggest that the Voice
of Justice ID heard on 15550 kHz around 1130 was in fact the start of the
1130 English transmission rather than the end of the 1030 one...

You can hear a clip of Voice of Justice on the Interval Signals Online
website at http://www.intervalsignalsonline.com

Dave Kernick

Click your way to Interval Signals Online @
www.intervalsignalsonline.com

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is coming out! Preorder yours now! Only $20.97 through us.