[HCDX] Re: 1640 Oklahoma Is On!

Follow-ups on the Newest X-band station, KMMZ, 1640, Enid, Oklahoma:

>From DX LISTENING DIGEST 3-205, Nov 14:

Does it have a mailing address? (Bob Combs, New Mexico, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

Try its parent station KCRC, P O Box 952, Enid, OK 73702-0952. Not
clear about their QSL policy, but I understand KCRC-1390 doesn`t get
many DX reports. I have tried to prepare 1640 for an onslaught of DX
reports. Same format continued all day Friday and into UT Saturday,
including the long periods of dead air, no legal IDs. The network has
a website http://www.unforgettablefavorites.com  As I was driving
around downtown Enid at LSS, there were a lot of dead spots where the
noise level came up, perhaps having a tough time against our
skyscrapers if powered down to 1 kW. During a long pause at 0129 UT
Nov 15, without even having nulled it on the ICF-5900W, I heard some
other 1640 station giving a phone number in area code 709 -- or so I
thought, but that`s Newfoundland. And aimed at same direxion as KMKZ,
during another long pause at 0243, what must have been WVNI
Mississippi was clearly audible thru the OC (Glenn Hauser, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

Good conditions tonight. Heard Bayard NM on 950 (1st time in ever) and
Enid on 1640 with heavy QRM from Spanish station. Will send out a few
reports this weekend! (Bob Combs, NM, 0123 UT Nov 15, ibid.)

It took an hour, but I think I heard a jingle ID at 5 past the hour. I
agree with you, a lot of pauses (one 3 minutes), I do however like the
music (my era) so if nothing else I can name the songs! Will try a
letter and see what happens (Bob Combs, New Mexico, 0207 UT Nov 15,
ibid.)

The jingle ID, heard again at 0305 UT, is just ``Unforgettable
Fav`rites`` --- never any callsign mention or legal ID heard yet. Go
for the ad block at :40 past the hours which include some local ads
and/or PSAs (gh, DXLD)

>From DX LISTENING DIGEST 3-206, Nov 15:

** OKLAHOMA. Further checks of Enid`s new 1640 on its second day of
operation, Nov 15: still no legal IDs or any call-letter IDs, and dead
air at 1459 UT extended for 8 minutes, as they are no doubt tweaking
stuff. After that mostly open carrier all day until 2153 UT when UF
format suddenly resumed, and still no ID of any kind at hourtop 2200.
And still a dead-air gap at 2242:30 to 2245:30. I am reminded in BCB
Topics, Nov CIDX Messenger, that the call was recently changed from
KMKZ to KMMZ, as the latter was no longer applicable to 96.9 The Bull.
I`ll believe it if I ever hear it, and that`s my excuse for mentioning
`KMKZ` previously, as in WRTH 2003, etc. The network`s website,
http://www.unforgettablefavorites.com is quite uninformative. Asks for
your zip code at the top, but Enid`s doesn`t get any specific station
info, yet? At least they give you the option right at the start of
accepting cookies or not! UF is part of ABC. Still going at 0237 UT
Nov 16, OK Statehood Day (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1640 KMMZ presumed, OK Enid. 11/14 2341 [EST?]. DJ Chaz with
'unforgettable favorites' and 'playing the songs you know and
remember'. Mostly soft rock from the 60s through 80s. Also heard Bose
Wave Radio ad. Listened for 2 hours and no IDs heard. Thanks to Glenn
Hauser for the tip. I wonder if this could be the 1640 UNID I reported
on 11/11 with Coast to Coast AM? (Patrick Griffith, Westminster, CO,
Drake R-8 and Kiwa loop, NRC-AM via DXLD)

>From DX LISTENING DIGEST 3-207, Nov 16:

** OKLAHOMA. 1640 KMMZ OK Enid 11/15 0134 EST. Fair to good signals
fading in and out with adult standards music. Now on testing. NEW! 73
and Best of DX (Shawn Axelrod, Manitoba, swl at qth.net via DXLD)

Did you get an ID? Ha! Of course not, since there aren`t any, yet. On
its third day, Nov 16, 1640 was just open carrier from check at 2200
past sunset, still OC at 0515. Skywave was already in at 2200, and the
1630 and 1650 stations were not bothered in the least by this `local`
OC. Modulating does not make too much difference, either. The OC also
does a nice job of blocking the computer noise so I can hear R. Disney
and WVNI on 1640 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1640, KMMZ, Enid, presumed the oldies rock music through the jumble
with "These Eyes" by The Guess Who at 0256 EST 11/16, followed by male
announcer saying "Unforgettable Favorites". No call ID heard, but this
is the only thing that fits. Thanks Glenn for the tip. Drake R8, 1500'
Eastern beverage (Patrick Martin, Seaside OR, IRCA via DXLD)

1640 kHz, KMMZ (presumed), Enid, 15 Nov. various times, oldies music,
mixing with KBJA (Spanish), but never IDs!!! Latest update in NRC/IRCA
shows them with new calls KMMZ (ex-KMKZ). (Chris Knight, Fort Lupton,
CO, hard-core-dx via DXLD)

Someone out west was reporting Coast to Coast on 1640, otherwise unID,
earlier in the week to this list. WTNI Biloxi does carry Coast to
Coast. Noted 11/15 at 0200 EST, with an oldies format heard
underneath. The latter possibly the new KMMZ, but no ID caught on the
oldies station (Gerry Bishop, Niceville, FL, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

That was I, Gerry (about Coast to Coast), thanks. That is them indeed,
Gerry. I've listened to them [KMMZ Enid] for about 5 hours total in
the past 3 days and haven't heard an ID yet (Patrick Griffith,
Milehighsville, CO, NRC-AM via DXLD)

Meanwhile, another format change at Chisholm Trail`s 96.9 outlet LMA`d
for OKC: Website: http://www.969bobfm.com

On November 3, 2003, Citadel's country endeavor ended. The station
began playing comedy sketches at 9 a.m. later playing a Celine Dion
marathon. Around 10:45 a.m., 96-9 Bob was born. ``Knows Classic Hits``
(http://www.okcityradio.com/ via DXLD)

Advance from DX LISTENING DIGEST 3-208:

** OKLAHOMA. KMMZ 1640 Enid: anyone trying for it overnight UT Nov 17
was probably out of luck, unless they could get a fix on the open
carrier, which was all that was running from before sunset Nov 16, and
continued with open carrier as late as 1500 UT Nov 17. When checked
before 1800, modulation had resumed, but they had changed networks,
perhaps still stunting, so who knows what KMMZ will settle upon, no
more Unforgettable Fav`rites, but instead the All Comedy Radio
Network, natch, with some fairly raunchy content, which may not go
over too well here amongst the Bible-belters. At least they bleep out
the F-word, but not the S-word, N.B. George Carlin. ``All Comedy Radio
is Offensive to the Whole Family.`` Still no legal ID at hourtops, and
this network does not even leave a hole for one! No more embarrassing
dead air, which may be the reason for switching to ACR for the test
phase at least. Plug in, turn on. Network promos say ACR is on ``great
radio stations`` like WBVA, Norfolk VA; WBZR, Fort Walton FL. Is
``Wheels`` the net`s theme song? Heard it twice in less than a
semihour. Net website http://www.allcomedyradio.com which has a cute
flash intro. Big news is that losing candidate for Kaligov, Gary
Coleman, has signed on as political analyst. Seems the big market
stations mentioned as affiliates just run ACR at certain hours,
weekends, like KLSX in LA and, coming up from monthend, WCKG in
Chicago, so I imagine it won`t be 24/7 on KMMZ. I listened for a
couple hours and didn`t hear any dead air, or local commercial breaks
either. I suspect the music breaks are really optional cutaways for
commercials.

``The American radio dial is crowded with programming formats and
splinter formats of virtually every type and style. Music? There's
mainstream and hybrid mixes of every imaginable variety. Even spoken
word formats have sub-divided. There's news and there's talk, and
there's news/talk. There's hot talk and there's conservative talk.
But up until this point there has not been a format exclusively
dedicated to the much desired fun and funny. That is about to change.

For four years the founders of All Comedy Radio have been stealth-like
in building content, acquiring broadcast rights, researching and
hyper-focusing the newest format in radio. And could there ever be a
more appropriate time? Very soon, there will be a laugh button on your
radio tuned to superstar standup, interviews with celebrities, parody
news, funny phone calls and many topical comedy surprises. As we
say...

It's all about fun.
It's all about funny.
It's all about Comedy Radio..
And it's about time!``
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

For further news on this, if I don`t manage to post it all on this
list, check the OKLAHOMA section, if any, in DX LISTENING DIGESTS,
issued every day or two, with index at

73, Glenn Hauser, Enid

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is coming out! Preorder yours now! Only $20.97 through us.