[HCDX] KMMZ 1640 Update

>From DXLD 3-208, November 18, 2003:

I've been trying to log a legal ID from this station for the past
three nights! It's tough to null WVNI in Mississippi, but I can hear
oldies music underneath, mixed with Radio Disney from Wisconsin. Last
night's recordings included lots of complete songs, with 5-10 seconds
of dead air in between the songs. Never heard a legal ID. I'll try for
the local ad block tonight at :40 past the hour. 73, (Les Rayburn,
N1LF, Central Alabama, Nov 17, IRCA via DXLD)

The local ad block at :40 applied to the previous network,
Unforgettable Fav`rites, not All Comedy Radio. I`ve not heard ANY
local ads since ACR started running, nor ANY local IDs. It`s still
going continuously as of 0215 UT Nov 19. I think KMMZ is running it 24
hours, at least for now (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

>From DXLD 3-209 November 20, 2003:

** OKLAHOMA. Nothing further to report on KMMZ[?] 1640. Chugs along
24\7 with All Comedy Radio, no IDs at hourtop, as of 1900 UT Nov 20.
Only thing mildly unusual were a few EAS tones after 1900, but not the
full test. Where are all the DX reports? I am rather surprised that
some DX sites which quoted my first report about the format being
Unforgettable Fav`rites have not followed up with the format change to
comedy, several days afterwards. Oh oh, at 0228-0400+ UT check Nov 21,
off the air, the first time noted missing this week (Glenn Hauser,
Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

I first heard KMMZ 1640 in Enid testing last Saturday, after seeing it
was on the air from 100Kwatts. I have listened and heard 1) oldies, no
ID on the hour, except once, when I realized they simulcasted KMKZ
95.7 --- was this their testing phase??? 2) Last Monday, they are
broadcasting COMEDY radio out of Los Angeles, but no ID on the hour,
only "Comedy radio". Signal into Okla City was pretty good day, but
late afternoon, I clearly could hear the Biloxi, Miss. 1640 station
under their signal. After both stations went from 10 KW day to 1 KW
night, I could still hear a fair nighttime signal into Okla City. Are
there many stations carrying a comedy format?? I only thing I ever
remember was some of the old comedy slots that WRR 1310 in Dallas did
in the 60's (I am older than dirt, you know!) (stevjz, Nov 20,
Oklahoma Radio Message Board via DXLD) 95.7 has not been KMKZ for a
long time; now it`s KXLS, and while I did not check this for a
simulcast earlier, I seriously doubt it was simulcast on 1640 (gh)

>From DXLD 3-210 November 22, 2003:

** OKLAHOMA. KMMZ[?] 1640, remained off the air Friday Nov 21, so I
decided this would be a good time to visit the transmitter site
without concern about being fried by RF, altho it would also have been
interesting to explore its coverage area. The site is 8 miles east of
Hennessey OK immediately adjacent to state highway 51, on the south
side. Can`t miss two towers, roughly WSW to ENE, producing the bi-
direxional pattern toward Enid NNW and OKC SSE. The brand-new towers
are steel, unpainted (yet?). Each has three little spikes on the top -
-- for lightning arrest, or is this what now diminishes skywave? Or
were they lights? I did not see any obvious tower lights, but this was
at high noon. Perhaps the reason for being off the air is that a
grader and a gravel truck were busy surfacing the short road off the
highway into the site in a pasture, complete with cowpies. And/or
awaiting FCC go-ahead after testing. And/or a new callsign since none
has ever been announced, to our knowledge??

It appears this will be an Enid station in name (and city of license)
only, as the only STL dish, on the east tower, is aimed at OKC, not
Enid! I expect it will be LMA`d by Citadel like Chisholm Trail`s 96.9
station, which also turned out to be an OKC rimshotter. There are no
signs identifying that this is the 1640 radio station, no FCC facility
number, like we saw on the gate to the KOSU tower further east on
Highway 51 (the nearest Thai café to Enid is the Thai Café in
Stillwater). A sign on the building mentioned some company we`d never
heard of, and the sign by the road says: `` Weaver Energy Corp. /
Blakley No. 1-20 / SW NE Sec. 20-19N-5W / Kingfisher County``.  The
transmitter building between the towers has a propane tank beside it,
as well as an electrical junxion box. I assume a standy generator will
be found inside; it was all locked up with no one from station on the
site, just the road surfacing people. There are little fences around
the guy wire tiedowns, but hardly enough to keep anyone out. Since the
towers don`t need to be very high at this frequency, the guys are
relatively lightweight compared to what we have seen at much taller FM
and TV towers. After we left, realized that we hadn`t noticed any
fresh trenches for radials, but I guess they must be down there. We
took a few digital shots which will be up as soon as we can get to
that on a new page along with a résumé of reports on this station, and
later perhaps anything else concerning Enid radio to be at
http://www.worldofradio.com/enid.html  1640 remained off the air Nov
22, into 0500 UT Nov 23, and probably the rest of the weekend (Glenn
Hauser, Enid, Nov 22, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1640, KMMZ tentative, OK Enid 11-15 2006 EST, P under WTNI, NOS, NEW!
Good DX! (Michael Procop, Bedford, Ohio (near Cleveland), amfmtvdx at
qth.net via DXLD)

>From DXLD 3-211, November 24, 2003:

** OKLAHOMA. Rounding up some other reports of KMMZ-1640 which have
come to my attention, before it went off the air for a while, and
still off as of 1722 UT Nov 24:

1640, KMKZ (presumed), OK, ENID, 11/19 2302, fair in WKSH null. ?All
Comedy Radio? slogan heard several times, but no actual ID, so
presumed only. All times are EST. Receiver: Drake R8. Antenna: Quantum
QX-Pro (Christos Rigas, Wood Dale IL, posted 11-20 at 2240, DX Mid-
America via DXLD)

I mentioned it on this month`s MUNDO RADIAL, recorded Nov. 19 before
it went off again, also on R. Nederland RADIO ENLACE Nov. 21-24:

ESTADOS UNIDOS / OCLAJOMA: Nueva emisora en el aire desde mi ciudad,
Enid, Oclajoma, con alcance DX mundial, en 1640 kilohercios,
comenzando el 14 de noviembre. Debe llamarse KMMZ, pero hasta ahora
carece de identificaciones en el aire, llevando las 24 horas la cadena
comédica, All Comedy Radio (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is coming out! Preorder yours now! Only $20.97 through us.