[HCDX] 720khz loggings with WGN off ...

I'm about 90 miles north of WGN, so they are pretty much impossible to phase
or null out, so I was excited about the possibilities to hear something new. I
thought conditions were pretty good with 730khz, XEX, Mexico City, running
about S9+10db during most of the test. I had S4 line noise on all antennas
except my big 55 ft high vertical, so that's what I used with the Icom R71a,
recording on cassette.

Clips of most of the highlights below can be found at
http://members.aol.com/j999w/DX in downloadable Real Audio format. Any help with the unidents would
be greatly appreciated since this is probalby my only chance for the next 10
years to get any of these !

No oldies were heard, no Jamaican sounding stations.

Highlights:

0836z   Unknown Spanish ident during brief carrier drop. Two time pips, "La
Una ..." "La  noche ... cinco" several mentions of Yucatan. Not sure who that
would be. Heavy 100hz heterodyne from who I believe is YNRC Radio Catolica,
Nicaragua which has been reported on 720.1khz before.

0910z 100hz het is really loud now, peaking S6. I can hear a woman talking.

0921z  Quick "La ...casa" ident.

0937z  Man in English with what sounds like "south side ... 4:37 (EST) for
the South side".

0950z  Religious talk in English.

0955z  Quick ident "Radio Oriente', Porlamar" (silent 'r') then into
Venezuela national anthem.

1000z  Woman in English talking " ... for this holiday season, we have a
special gift for you ... free CD ... live performances ... ". I searched the web
on this, but found nothing.

1020z  mix of two Spanish stations, and some gospel music in short bursts
until carrier came back on.

Soooooo, I'm logging:

720khz YVQE Radio Oriente', Porlamar, Venezuela 11.30.03 0955z fair to good
with quick ident "Radio Oriente', Porlama" then into national anthem. WGN off.
NEW ! JW-WI

720.1khz YNRC Radio Catolica, Managua, Nicaragua *TENTATIVE* 11.30.03 0900z
poor to fair with strong heterodyne and spanish programming. WGN off. NEW !
JW-WI

I had a lot of fun with this test, looking forward to more.

73 and good DX,

John Wilke
WB9UAI
Milwaukee, WI

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is coming out! Preorder yours now! Only $20.97 through us.