[HCDX] QSLs part of domenstrating statepower..., but email QSLs should be encouraged

[HCDX] QSLs part of domenstrating statepower..., but email QSLs should be encouraged

===========================
> > Verifing reception is part of a state broadcaster's responsibility -- it
> > is part of domenstrating that the state is still properly functioning.
===========================

1. VOA is clearly a state broadcaster, beyond question.

2. The BBCWS, RN and even SRI are public broadcasters domestically -- but
state broadcasters (internatioally) by charter.

> This can't be serious. It's like being in a time warp. I remember even
> genial George Wood getting angry when someone made that point at an EDXC
> Conference many years ago. I thought such attitudes had been well and
truly
> removed from the hobby. First of all, we are not state broadcasters. We
are
> public broadcasters.

3. There are "office automation" medthods to speed up QSL RSVPs, here are
some:

A. PDF email QSLs
B. Bulk (but cheap) out of country remailing services
C. Online QSL forms, to encourage A
D. Outsourcing to interns, etc...

> Secondly, international broadcasters are not on the air
> for the gratification of people who are only interested in their technical
> operations. QSL cards were, in the past, sent out as a way of saying
thanks
> because the broadcasters relied on reception reports to determine how well
> their transmissions were being received. Those days are long gone. Most
> broadcasters can check reception themselves via remotely operated
receivers,
> or monitor each other's broadcasts on a professional level. The world has
> moved on, but some DXers' attitudes apparently haven't :-(

4. Ioncap, VOAarea and Ionarea are not perfect programs by any means; QSL
cards are still needed as part of the Telecomm Engr endevor that SW
broadcasting is and will continue to be into the near future...

> Many international broadcasters continue to send out QSL cards as a public
> relations exercise. That's all it is - not a duty or a responsibility.
Radio
> Netherlands is still threatened with further massive budget cuts. Do you
> imagine that QSL cards are high on the list of priorities? I have personal
> friends who have lost their jobs. Can I tell them, "never mind, at least
we
> can still afford to send out postcards to DXers in Vladivostok" ?

5. As international broadcasters 'delete' programs with technical content,
segments of the audience leave. I have not listened to RN since Media
Network vanished off the air...

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is coming out! Preorder yours now! Only $20.97 through us.