[HCDX] RTE Ireland : its historic lack of presence on SW has always been puzzling...

[HCDX] RTE Ireland : its historic lack of presence on SW has always been puzzling...

RTE Ireland : its historic lack of presence on SW has always been puzzling
to me ...

RTE, by my view of the way history should have happened -- would have had
the following transmission systems:

1. 2 x HRS 8 / 4 / 1
-- aimed at the US and 'Southern' Canada and Latin America
-- installed mid 1980s

2. 3 x HRS 4 / 4 / 1
-- aimed at Catholic Europe (Spain & Portugal, Ukraine, Italy, Romania and
Greece)
-- same antenna used to reach Australia + NZ
3. 2 x HRS 4 / 2 / 1
-- aimed at the Nordic Region

Initial launch of SW service : 1955.
Initial transmitters : 3 x 50 kW.

Note : items 2 & 3 dating from the late 1960s with a rebuild in the mid
1980s.

All fed by 4 x 250 kW transmitters from 2 or 3 transmitter sites, with 3 x
50 kW spares.

Primary broadcasting language : English and Gaelic
With 30 minutes per day in the geopolitical important languages from
Catholic Europe.

Political Stance : RFI Model : Irish Culture, with no 'cold war' involvement
whatsoever.
Secondary goal of SW service : obtaining foreign investment.

Transmission hours : around 220 per week.

Primary programming source : RTE.

International (non RTE domestic) hours : 15% of all programming hours.