[HCDX] TOCOBAGA DX #71

TOCOBAGA DX #71 January 4, 2004
CLEARWATER, FLORIDA, USA
E-mail: tocobagadx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Florida Low Power Radio Stations" is at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tocobagadx/flortis.html

© 2004, Terry L Krueger.  Retransmit or quote all or any
portion only with full credit given to TOCOBAGA DX and all
attributed sources.  All frequencies are in KHz unless
otherwise stated.  Times in GMT/UTC unless otherwise stated.

1610 FLORIDA (UNLICENSED) "R-C-H/Haitian Community Radio"
Homestead; received two unsolicited e-mails on Dec. 30th
from "Maurice" who states that he installed the transmitting
equipment for this station: "1610 RCH Homestead is a legal
Part 15.219 station.  I put the transmitters for that
station, it runs Rangermaster-1000 from Hamilton, 100mW at
80ft.  One more thing: 1610 RCH is over modulating cause
they were told to get a limit/processor. They are in
downtown Homestead where you saw the banner [actually it was
Hans Johnson, reporting this to me -- TLK], the tower there
has the transmitter on the top. The FCC has inspected it and
found it legal but told them about their audio.  Yeah those
Rangemaster-1000 transmitters are FCC certified for Part
15.219 operation and the work great (when properly
modulated), lol.  I will be installing my station in Miami
soon using 7 transmitters 100mW Part 15.219 with OTR [? --
TLK] format.  I currently have 10 transmitters in CA. Part
15 also and inspected by the FCC and legal also and it
covers 15 miles.  Regards, Maurice."  I discovered this
station last June, while passing through on my way the
Florida Keys.  Searching the Internet, I found this site for
the Hamilton Rangemaster-1000 transmitter:
www.hampcb.com/home.html (Krueger-FL)

1620.25+/- FLORIDA vs. HAITI (UNLICENSED) Also via "Maurice"
(see 1610): "[This] actually comes from Haiti, not Miami."
However, several of us in Florida are still monitoring and
attempting to DF this Haitian Kreyol station (frequency
varies down to just above 1610, and it is not the same as
the Orlando Haitian pirate on 1620, or the 1610 "RCH"
Homestead station).  We still believe it is in the
Miami-Dade area.  (Krueger-FL)  1620.26, or maybe even a
little higher, 2326-0002 Jan. 3, threshold signal and
presume this one (if so, first log for me, finally).  Unable
to discern content (English or Kreyol) except for pieces of
vocal music and male announcer.  Peaked around 2345, but
pretty much tostada by tune out and later checks.
(Krueger-FL)

1660 FLORIDA (UNLICENSED) "Nostalgia Radio" Miami; Upon
receiving the e-mails from "Maurice" regarding the Haitian
Kreyol format unlicensed stations on 1610 and 1620.25, I did
a quick Internet search for "Vibe Radio" (as referenced on
his e-mail properties).  This URL: www.viberadio.us
indicates a Nostalgia format Pt. 15-compliant station in the
Maim area.  Note also the 1700 kHz California reference.
And just in (Jan.2nd): a follow-up e-mail from "Maurice"
confirms that he is the owner of Nostalgia Radio. He states
that in Miami, it is down now due to transmitter changes,
and that the transmitters "are spread among different
locations, but for example one transmitter is giving me
five-miles solid with a signal of 192uV at that distance.
The transmitters that [are] on the air now is the one in
Woodside, CA and Redwood City, CA... [the] transmitters are
linked via 2.4 GHz Part 15 spread spectrum and with
Optimod-9200 processor from the studio, and the transmitters
in CA are fed by an audio Internet link."  (Krueger-FL)

6105 COSTA RICA Radio Universidad de Costa Rica; 0035-0105
Jan. 4.  Definitely on today (David Crawford logged this
with classical/chamber music and no ID 1630-1730+ Jan. 3).
T/in to great archival US 1930's/1940's US blues, Spanish
man with ID 0056 (simply as "Radio Universidad"), then steel
guitar blues filler until 0059 SP man and woman with another
Radio Universidad ID and brief patter, into chamber/opera
vocals from 0102.  Fair, but squeezed pretty badly on both
adjacents.  (Krueger-FL)

11655 CUBA Radio Rebelde; 1708-1735 1 Jan. with "Cuba
Deportiva" roundup of Cuban and Caribbean sports scores.
Recheck at 1731 with warbling transcript on the history and
culture of the city of Santiago de Cuba.  Parallel MW 1180,
etc.  Great signal, but producing an FMing blob from 11640
to 11670.  The results of a shoddy ChiCom transmitter
coupled with bad Cuban engineers, no doubt.  (Krueger-FL)

89.3 MHz GEORGIA WBJY, Albany; 2316+ Dec. 31.  Presume the
one with modern Christian vocals and talk, several "FREE 89
point 3 Albany" slogans.  I do not locate a URL for this
station, and www.100000watts.com does not list "Free" as
their slogan.  Can anyone confirm this is WBJY?  Listed as
11 kW, so a pretty good catch down here, if them.  Usually
WPIO, Titusville (also Christian) dominates here.
(Krueger-FL)

100.5 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE) "100.5 FM" Ft. Myers; listened to
[this] again today (Jan. 1), simply IDed as "100.5 FM"
during a Club Neptunes ad.  Good along I-75 to Pine Ridge
exit.  Fine through town, but started getting real spotty at
the Wiggins Beach Park.  So I would say south of Pine Ridge
Road and pretty close to I-75.  (Hans Johnson-FL)
[Reportedly hip hop format -- TLK]

ITS RECEIVER, Part II (See TocobagaDX #70): This is the Dec.
29th reply from Brian Bradley, regarding my inquiry as to
how the system 'knows' how to shut off when it has completed
a cycle, and where/when they will expand to next Florida
region: "Hi Terry, We greatly appreciate your feedback and
we value you as an ITR customer. The ITR receives analog
control signals and processes them via an algorithm, thereby
enabling us to control each unit (i.e. shut them off and
send alerts). We'll be expanding into Orlando first,
hopefully in the first quarter of '04 and the remaining
cities shortly afterwards.  Again, thank you for your
feedback. Please keep us posted on how we're doing by
completing the short questionnaire on our website (see
Contact Us page).  Happy holidays.  Best regards, Brian
Bradley - President FDT - www.itrnow.com  (Krueger-FL)

ETON E1 XM/AM/FM/SHORTWAVE RADIO (a/k/a Grundig Satellit
900): Tony Simon points out this upcoming portable, which
looks very interesting to say the least!  See the link
http://grundigradio.com/asp/3CESAwards.asp and click on the
third photo to the right.

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is coming out! Preorder yours now! Only $20.97 through us.