RE: [HCDX] Diego Garcia

>While I do hear Diego Garcia on occassion on 13254 USB I have not heard
nor
>seen any reports for some time of the AFN station on 4319 USB and 12579
USB.

Hello Steve and the rest of the list.

Hearing the 13 MHz Diego utility station is not a good propagation
indicator to use for reception of the two AFN broadcast frequencies.

The 4 MHz freq is used during local darkness hours at Diego and we are
in daylight during that time. Result - no path. The 12 MHz (and yes, I
know it is on a marine MIS freq) is used during their daylight hours and
our best shot to hear that would be in the evening hours short path or a
long path during the early morning EST. Given the current state of solar
conditions, reception would be difficult at best.

Also please keep in mind that these are not true broadcasters like the
old days when AFRTS used VOA xmitters. These are feeder broadcast and
there is no guarantee on schedule or that they will be broadcasting at
any given hour. In my talks with Navy broadcast officials over the last
few years, the overseas broadcast transmitters are much more spotty in
their scheduling than the CONUS and near CONUS broadcasters. They really
didn't explain why. They left me with the impression that due to the
workloads on their transmitter farms sometimes they take the lower
priority AFN transmissions off the air. To use a quote "Operational
Tempo."

Hope that explains things a bit. 73 and good hunting to all,

Larry Van Horn -- N5FPW
WUN Club Military/Goverment Monitoring Columnist
Grove Enterprises Technical Support Department
Monitoring Times Assistant Editor/Milcom Columnist
Telephone: V-828-837-9200/F-828-837-2216/800-438-8155