[HCDX] Slow and quick time signals in China + Thailand on 1350 kHz

[HCDX] Slow and quick time signals in China + Thailand on 1350 kHz

Hi,

a week ago when I heard a couple of Chinese stations on MW (AM), I heard a "slow" time
signal with pips in seconds 50.52.54.56.58.60. It was Jiangxi PBS on 1350 kHz.
Otherwise I think all (or the most of) Chinese stations nowadays use a "quick" time signal
with pips in seconds 55.56.57.58.59.60.
In both cases the last pip is high and long. I think the "slow" type of time signal was
used in China widely in the past.
(BTW: did anybody noticed that CNR has a new version of national anthem which is slightly
slower than it used to be?)

In the same evening (25 JAN 2004 between 2120-2155 UTC) I heard a station from Thailand on
1350 kHz. It was my UNID, now I have been told the language is Thai and the station should
be Phon Neung Ror. Or. from Bangkok (10 kW). The only strange thing is that the station
faded out at 2155 UTC, although the Sun rose in Bangkok not earlier than 2330 UTC. In
other case the Sunrise and the fade-out of a station worked perfectly: Jiangxi PBS
faded-out at 2250 UTC and it was exactly the time when the Sun rose in that area. So my
reception of Thailand remains a bit mysterious. I have got tape recordings so if anybody
is interested to hear the language, I can send him a selected 35 seconds long MP3 file
(140 kB).

It was interesting to watch this 10 kW Thai station competing with a 850 kW Gavar txmitter
(Armenia) relaying DW in Arabic on the same frequency of 1350 kHz. There were moments when
both signals were on the same level! Thailand is not very often reported on this frequency
here in Europe, in fact I do not remember when I read it somewhere last time. But 10 kW
Thai transmitters were heard on other MW frequencies by Dick van der Knaap in Holland
about a year ago, so in general it is possible to catch them here. Unfortunately there
seems to be very few people in (central) Europe this winter to point their antennas to the
East...

GOOD DX,

Karel Honzik
the Czech Republic (Czechia)

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.