Re: [HCDX] DX WorkShop

Lainaus Karel Honzík <karel-honzik@xxxxxxxx>:

> DX Workshop
> ++++++++++++++++
>
> Is there anybody who is experienced with what could be called a "DX
> Workshop" - a weekend
> or week long education project for beginners or less experienced DXers?
> Has anybody
> organized something like that?
>
> What I mean is a weekend- or longer (during vacations?) stay somewhere in
> a cottage with
> lectors and a group of participants. They would learn about antennas,
> receivers,
> propagation, languages, QSLs etc. and they could try it all at the place
> under the
> supervision of their more experienced colleagues.
>
> It could help the beginners and those who are too shy to ask.  It also
> could bring some
> money to the DX club which would organize such an event.
>
> Is it of any sense? Did anybody try something like that?
>

> Thanks for your info,
>
> Karel Honzik
> the Czech Republic (Czechia)
> ************************************

Hi Karel,

I'm in no way expert on this subject, but can anyway encourage you on this.
We did quite a few of these in the 1980's (when we still had a lot a young
new members) and the experiences were in general very positive. I bet this
is actually very common within DX clubs over the world, but of course these
camps vary a lot in many things, e.g. number of participants, the lasting of
the event, how "professional" (remember we are not amateurs!) the teaching
is in quality and quantity and so on.

In addition to increase the knowledge of how to DX the participants would
sure also become more social being together for some days. This is an
important point, too, as many people can become somewhat isolated no matter
they sit alone for longer periods at home at their receivers or at their
computers.

Building the material does take some work, but if there is a regular need
for such DX training camps, the same material with updates surely would work
for years.

A small profit to the organising club is of recommendable, especially when
the amount of volunteer work increases.

my 2 cents

Risto

--
Risto Vähäkainu
koordinaattori

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.