[HCDX] [radiostamps] RESEARCHING EKKO AND OTHER VERIFICATION STAMPS

RESEARCHING EKKO AND OTHER VERIFICATION STAMPS

Western DX Forum last issue, very little information exists on radio
verification stamps, except for two articles which have appeared in
Popular Communications Magazine (April, 1986 and March, 1995) and a
cover story which appeared in the June 4, 1997 issue of Antique Radio
Classified.  As it turns out, I am in the process of conducting
initial research into the area of radio verification stamps with the
hope of eventually authoring a book on the subject.

Briefly, an article entitled "The New Radio Stamp Fad" appeared in
the February, 1925 issue of Radio News Magazine. The classic magazine
cover of that particular issue pictured a broadcast band listener
donning a set of head phones listening to DX, while at the same time
placing EKKO stamps in his album.  Two months later, the EKKO Company
of Chicago, Illinois ran an ad in the April, 1925 issue depicting
their special radio stamp album which could be purchased for $1.75
($2.50 in Canada). It is estimated that over 700 stations in the
U.S., Canada, Cuba and Mexico were represented on stamps printed by
the American Banknote Company for use by EKKO.

However, there were stations that did not participate in the EKKO
program and issued their own stamps. Some of these stations included
WHAS, WSM, WSB, WJKS, WTIC and KFI. Another lesser known Chicago
company which produced verification stamps complete with an album was
P.M. Bryant. Unfortunately, very little information exists on their
venture into the radio DX field, but I am working on it. In addition
to the postage-like stamps issued by EKKO and Bryant, other stations
such as KMOX and KGO utilized embossed, gold-colored, gum-back
circular foil. In addition to verification stamps, I am also looking
into the various stations which have issued special QSL cards and
membership cards to DX'ers such as the KDYL "Night Owls Club", the
WDAF "Nighthawks -the Enemies of Sleep", and the CKMO "Midnight
Prowlers".

If any IRCA member has examples of these types of items I would love
to hear from them. The subject of the early days of AM BCB DX is a
fascinating one. Unfortunately, much of the paper ephemera related to
the subject such as QSL cards, applause cards, postcards, membership
cards and verification stamps are gone forever. After eighty years, I
suppose most of these items wound up in land fills, were incinerated
or were eaten by insects while buried in a dirty attic or basement. I
am always searching for these long forgotten items, especially from
the time period of 1920 through 1940 when AM BCB Dxing was a popular
hobby. Once I can gather a sufficient amount of accurate historical
information and examples of such items, I will be that much closer to
putting a book together for all to enjoy.  Good DX....73. (Harry
Schools, K3HS, 1606 South Kewkirk Street, Philadelphia, PA  19145,
Eastern DX Forum, IRCA Soft DX Monitor June 19 via DX Listening
Digest 4-093)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/zBTolB/TM

     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.