[HCDX] MW DX from Northern Australia - CRIKEY!

I haven't been active in the hobby since Dave Onley (http://home.iprimus.com.au/onleydw/) and I hit a Woodside (Victoria, Australia) DXpedition for some US X-Banders at the end of 2001. Since early 2002 I've been working at an Aboriginal Medical Service in Port Augusta which is 300km north of Adelaide. South Australia is very ordinary for early evening DX and most of the action happens around sunrise. Unfortunately I never really got the chance to do any DXing in Port Augusta as my wife was living in our house in Adelaide for my 2 year stint there meaning I'd come back to Adelaide each weekend. I kept thinking on the Monday morning drive to Port Augusta when I'd leave at 5:00am that I should be hunting Europeans rather than dodging road roos (kangaroos). Life has taken an exciting DX twist as my wife and I are moving to Townsville at the end of April where I'll be working with the Tropical Public Health Unit. So I've been reborn in the hobby and I can't wait to dust off the SPR4 and set up some antennas. Watch out guys I'll be annoying some of you asking for plans for loops, EWE's, baluns, etc. The Townsville  move means I'll be able to listen for North America, the Pacific and Asia in the evenings which is much more tolerable than relying on dawn listening now that I have a wife and career.

So.......hello boys and girls from north Queensland. There's crocodiles in the river across the road, dengue fever carrying mosquitoes one suburb away, wire munching kangaroos in the paddock behind my house, green tree frogs in the crapper and Bundy Rum Draught on tap in all the pubs - this is my kind of town!! - it's like being on DXpedition with Dave Onley. Only problem is I've learnt that XXXX isn't Australian for BEER, it's Australian for SHXT - but there are plenty of other options to choose from. Well the old Drake SPR4 has been running hot and the spiders living in it haven't been happy with the lights on so late at night.

You know Captain Morgan had this slogan "women and seamen don't mix". He yelled this out as his float sailed past at the Sydney gay and lesbian mardi gras. You're probably wondering where I'm going with this... you see my new slogan is "women and early evening DXing don't mix". My wife Michelle flew in from Adelaide recently and the DXing has all but stopped. I've had to assume the role of a regular member of society to hide secret alter ego of the 'Crocodile DX Hunter', it's a shame too, that green lycra superhero body suit is quite striking. Nonetheless it's great to have Michelle visit for a few weeks. She'll be flying out of Townsville again in a matter of days to return to Adelaide so she can formally resign from her job at the end of June. Then she'll be in Townsville with me permanently by the end of July. This means for the month of July I'll be hitting the band hard to log and report as many stations as possible. I intend listening every evening after work and treating the weekends like a DXpedition weekend. So as you can see the last few weeks has yielded a nice little trail.

Trail - Craig Edwards "Crocodile DX Hunter", Townsville, Queensland, Australia, Drake SPR4 & 4 EWE's

549      1205    CNR Fujian, China. Very strong and equal strength with 2CR, non-stop male talk in CC. On 27/4 strangely enough was // 684, 909, 1089 & 1224. Had CNR5 pgm'ing most other days

567      KGUM Agana, Guam. Fair at 1455 with ads then KGUM web address announcement, Burger King ad prior to 1500 then weather for Guam & promo for the Don Carlson breakfast show & 'Newstalk AM 57' ID.

585      0645    NBC Port Moresby PNG.  Fair in EE at 4:45pm local in clear sunlight!! Numerous National Radio IDs and mx request show in EE. Full ID at 0700 "You're listening to the voice of PNG on the National Radio Network"

594      DZBB Quezon City, Philippines. Fair in Tagalog here at 1727 with female DJ over 3WV giving 'Super Radyo DZBB' ID at 1730

594      1230    JOAK Tokyo, Japan. Fair with FA in JJ presenting classical mx show, no sign of 3WV but lots of fading.

639      FBC Lautoka, Fiji. Poor hear in Fijian with MA talk mixing with 2HC & 4MS at 0720

666      1311    Qinghai, China. Good in CC over the top of a mix of Aussies. FA announcer with traditional sounding music, ID by MA and then news with reference to US president and attorney general.

666      0709    RFO Noumea, New Caledonia. Never heard here before in Townsville while using the 0 o & 100 o EWE until the 60o EWE was put up. Regular here each sunset now in FF.

684      1236    CNR Fujian, China. Very strong and almost like a local. Mx variety show of sorts including classical mx, childrens mx and jingles in between MA and FA commentaries. // 1089 & 1224.

693      1120    JOAB Tokyo, Japan. Poor overall but dominated channel for 5 minutes with JJ MA talk then a FA gave EE language lessons. Then buried under 4LM & 4KQ.

729      1003    JOCK Nagoya, Japan. Fairly good in JJ w/ FA news, mix with 5RN.

765      CNR Fujian, China. Fair at 1756 in CC with CNR network pgm

810      1319    RRI Merauke, Irian Jaya. Fair here at times but with deep fades, great easy listening mx show then fortunate for nice fade up at 1330 for ID.

819      1115    DXUM Davao City, Philippines. Fair in Filipino with FA chat then MA with echo giving ID and then Davao City station address, followed by slick US style adverts in EE.

828      1340    JOBB Osaka, Japan. Nice signal over cc 4GC only some 130km away! In the clear for 10 minutes with MA talk in JJ. 25/4

830      KHVH Honolulu, HI. Fair at 1445 with pgm focusing on politics & religion, then KHVH call ID

850      unid. Noted a het here at 1530 but alas no audio. Suspect this could be KICY Alaska as corresponds to there sunrise and het heard only on northern EWE which is close to the mark of Alaska. Great conditions this evening with heaps of US west coasters, & Pacific Islanders until 1620 GMT - need to try again when the DX is hot again

891      1840    HLKB Busan, South Korea.  Good signal here but tough under talk from cochannel 5AN which was dominant. At 1st suspected Fiji but then swung around on SE Asia EWE to hear non-stop KK commentaries. Signal knocked out at 1900 due to 4TAB open carrier being applied one hour prior to 2000 sign on.

909      1008    CNR Fujian, China. Quite good here in CC with contemporary mx show with FA DJ. // 549, 684, 1089, 1224. 27/4

909      1357    RRI Sorong, Irian Jaya. Good here over China with MA DJ and regular listener call ins after ID on the hour

909      JOCB Nagoya, Japan. Fair at 1008 with EE language lessons mixing with pop songs from RRI Sorong, no sign of CNR.

936      1902    JONF or JOTR, Japan.  Too hard to tell which one as mainly mx with very little talk in JJ under talk from 4PB.

972      1410    HLCA Langjin, South Korea.  MA & FA commentary in KK mixing here with 5PB.

981      1010    Philippines. Very overmodulated signal with excited MA & FA Filipino talk and jingles, tough as this poor audio was mixing with 2NM.

999      0951    DYSS Cebu City, Philippines. Nice signal this evening in Filipino with occas fade ups over 2NB & 2ST. 'DYSS Report', local Pharmacy ads and 'Super Radyo' IDs.

999      2035    RRI Jakarta, Indonesia. Heard here at poor levels in Indo with MA talk, maybe down in transmitter power as only first time noted in Townsville & it used to be quite regular at the Coorong in South Australia

1008    1930    unid likely Taiwan. Non-stop chatter, best on 300o SE Asia EWE which got rid of the Aussies here beautifully.

1008    1930    JONR Osaka, Japan. Fading in & out with Taiwan but dominant on the 0o East Asia EWE

1009    DWGO Olongapo, Philippines. Noted off channel here at fair strength but terrible modulation at 1110. Talk back on community development then political pgm on education & IT

1017    JOLB Fukuoka, Japan. Fair here in JJ with NHK2 pgm at 1127 and noted at a later retune with EE language lessons pgm

1017    A3Z Nuku'alofa, Tonga. Poor at 0833 but readable in Tongan with few announcements & mainly pop mx but always under 2KY

1020    KTNQ Los Angeles, CA. Poor but still readable despite 2KY splatter, 1002 with slow ranchera mx back to back to back with few announcements

1035    1350    SIBC Honiara, Solomon Islands. Good signal here in EE with US network pgm about refugee survival stories in Malaysia, Banda Aceh and Bouganville with interviews. Dominant on this channel except for occas fade ups of 2ZB, only Kiwi heard on the band so far.

1035    1312    CNR1, China. Poor but occas over 2ZB and SIBC with traditional CC mx pieces and FA talk.

1040    KLHT Honolulu, HI. Poor at 0955 with religious talks & Christian pop mx

1050    0825    KTCT San Mateo, CA. Fair here with 'Sports Leader' pgm with NBA report from Western conference semi's.

1053    1050    RRI Jayapura, Indonesia. Poor here in Indo and difficult to dig out the signal with 2CA plus others. FA commentary then Song of the Coconut Isles at 1058, no ID though. Noted again on at 1100 with SCI tune, but no ID, JOAR was more dominant

1053    1153    JOAR Nagoya, Japan. Pretty good here in JJ with lively talks between 2 MA's.

1071    DXKT Davao City, Philippines. Good at 1137 in Tagalog with non-stop chatter then local ID with US accent 'Radio Station DXKT'

1080    KCNM Northern Marianas Islands. Fair on peaks but poor overall at 1523 mixing with 2MO. Noted with easy listening mx, US accented announcer with ID at 1530, US style ads promo for their website

1089    1210    CNR Fujian, China. Refer to log of 684. Again very strong and the dominant signal on the channel for 2 hours except for the odd attempt by the Aussies. // 684 & 1224.

1098    V7AD Majuro, Marshall Islands. Fairly good signal at 0905 despite fighting with 4LG, 7LA and 3ZB. This evening there were problems with 4LG as there appeared to be an open carrier which let the Pacific Islander sneak through. Great mx in Marshallese, listener call in with mx requests, tried again the next evening and was there but no match for 4LG

1100    0840    KFAX San Francisco CA. Fair with religious programming

1107    1427    JOCF Japan. MA & FA talk in JJ very strong over 2EA with EE pop mx, ads & network news promo's as 'JOCF ABS-CBN News'.

1110    KFAB Omaha, NE. Fair at 0956 with pop mx then ads and "eleven ten KFAB" ID & Broadcast National News

1116    2000    Taiwan -  BCC or Ching Cha or Han Sheng network, 2 Taiwan stations here, one with animated announcements & jingles followed by selection of pops and the other non-stop talk, have yet to go thru tape on this one.

1120    KPNW Eugene, OR. Fair at 1002 with ABC news and report from Tom Rivers

1125    1356    YJB2 Vanuatu. Fair to good here but lots of fading. Pgm in EE exactly // Solomon Islands 1035 kHz.

1125    1247    NHK network, most likely JOAD Okinawa. Fair in JJ then signal rose nicely for EE & JJ netwoek ID with GMT time check.

1125    1018    DXGM Davao City, Philippines. Good here over 5MU, 'Sports Arena' pgm with soccer results, then lots of 'Super Radyo' IDs and political ads & full 'DXGM Super Radyo - Davao 1125 kilohertz with 10,000 watts'

1130    KSDO San Diego, CA . Fair at 1020 & dominant on the channel this evening in SS with religious talk

1130    KRDU Dinuba, CA. Mixing at 1006 with KSDO, heard with end of news then 2 MA's discussing Christianity

1134    1035    JOQR Osaka, Japan. Good here in JJ but didn't last long, lots of JOQR ID jingles during 2 MA DJ chat.

1152    1933    HLCW Wonju, South Korea. Fair here with KK male chatter mixing with 2WG & unid CC.

1160    KSL Salt Lake City, UT. Fair at 1014 with weather for the Northern Plains, Great Valley & Ohio Valley

1161    1454    DYRD Philippines. Good here over unid China, sign off with full ID by US accent MA in EE announcing network & DYRD ID, address & names of studio personnel

1161    unid Papua New Guinea. Very interesting this, I tuned in at 2055 just after local sunset which is also the case for PNG. I initially though it was DYRD & I only stayed with it as there are 5 of them listed so I thought I might snare another one. Turned out to be male talk in pidgin EE at a peak a couple of minutes later talking about the government of PNG and joint Australia/PNG police initiative, song by Monique Brady then mention of Radio Australia news then suddenly gone at 2100. Didn't have enough time to check 585 or SW outlets. Who is this???

1161    HLKU Busan, South Korea. Fair at 1642 over Aussies with female talk in KK

1170    2025    DXMR Zamboanga, Philippines. Good here this morning but took a while to ID. Noted with commentary in Tagalog on fuel regulation and political issues, ID as "Philippines Broadcasting Service" finally noted just before signal died at 2102 (7:02am 45 minutes after sunrise)

1170    1130    HLSR Kimje, South Korea. Very good here in RR with non-stop FA commentary. IDs at 1155 before going into JJ at 1200, well over 2CH

1179    1243    RRI Padang, Sumatra. Fair here on a good evening for Indonesians over usual mix of 3RPH, JOOR and Philippine stations. Lengthy commentary here by FA with lots of references to local province towns and program & ID announcements on the hour

1179    JOOR Osaka, Japan. Fair in JJ at 1215 with musical play

1180    Radio Marti, Marathon, FL. Poor but regular here in SS & coming in most evenings from 0830

1188    CRI Yunnan, China. Fair in CC at 1230 with MA talk mixing with 2XM and religious pgm in EE from FEBC South Korea

1188    2015    HLKX Inchon, South Korea. Not bad and in the clear, normally a garbled mess of Asians with 2NZ. Non-stop religious talks here

1190    0847    KEX Portland, OR. Poor here with back to back series of ads

1200    WOAI San Antonio, TX. Fair here at 1055 & always dominant on this channel with lots of ads

1210    KZOO Honolulu, HI. Very poor in the mix of splatter from 1206 & 1215. Signal peaked up long enough at 1127 with Japanese pop music, 60's style jingle in JJ & EE ID as "This is K Z O O radio broadcasting from Honolulu Hawaii"

1215    1503    DYRF Cebu City, Philippines. Good here with 'Election Patrol' segment and DYRF IDs

1224    1100+  CNR Fujian, China. Refer to log of 684. Fair level but competing with cc 2EA, very reportable though and still audible at 1400. // 684 & 1089.

1233    TWR Cape Greco, Cyprus. Fair here in AA with MA talk & typical M/East mx

1242    8TAB Darwin. Great to hear this despite cochannel 4AK Toowoomba. Only my 2nd ever non-ABC NT station ever heard, noted with TAB IDs & fishing show of all things at the early hour of 2046 UTC (6:16AM NT time)

1242    1510    Voice of Vietnam External Service. Fair in EE over cochannel 4AK for brief period with international news items by MA & FA.

1260    1937    DXRF Davao City, Philippines. Good here relaying DZRH with Filipino MA DJ hosting talk show with lots of callers, at 2000 full DZRH and Manila Broadcasting Corporation network IDs.

1269    Voice of the Strait, Fuzhou, China. Good here // SW outlet at 1115 & over an ugly mix of poorer strength stations including 2SM, BEC44 Taiwan & unid Philippines

1269    2024    BEC44 Penghu, Taiwan. Poor with 2 MA's and lots of talk of Taiwan, tough catch as this was mixing with 2SM and then sign on of unid Philippines station

1278    1958    JOFR Fukuoka, Japan. Good here over 3AW in JJ with network ID followed by pop mx

1287    1940    JOHR Sapporo, Japan. Good here prior to usually dominant DXRC signs on. Lots of great JJ pop mx.

1287    1222    DXRC Zamboanga City, Philippines. Fair here briefly over 2TM enough to give full ID and sign off announcements with US accented MA in EE

1296    1026    DXAB Davao City, Philippines. Fair but fading in & out with 4RPH, Filipino MA talk, lots of mentions of Manila, TC 1030. Returned at 1100 to hear DXAB IDs, then  DZMM network reports about presidential candidates

1300    XEP Cd Juarez, Mexico. Fair at 0837 in SS with ranchero mx & few MA announcements mixing with unid talk format West Coast station in EE

1314    1957    BEV76 Tien Sheng BC Station, Taiwan. MA talk then t/tones and call sign ID on the hour

1314    DWXI Paranaque, Philippines. Good at 1148 with religious service by MA preacher in Tagalog

1314    JOUF Osaka, Japan. Fair here in JJ at 1627 mixing with unid CC sounding Asian.

1320    XEJP, Mexico City, Mexico. Fair at 0949 with long talks by MA & FA in SS, broken up by the odd couple of love songs. Mixing with KCTC.

1320    0856    KCTC Sacramento, CA. Poor here with oldies such as Bing Crosby & Sammy Davis Jr

1323    CRI Changchun, China. Fair here at 1125 in CC with MA & FA chatter then promo for www.cri.com.cn with signal over Japan & Thailand

1323    1240    Thor. Or. Thailand. Good here in Thai dominant over NHK, no sign of 5DN.

1350    2008    PBS Kunming, China. Presumed the one hear at fair level over 2LF with non-stop MA talk in CC.

1359    1436    Family Radio, Taiwan. Very good this evening over 4WK with non-stop commentary in Chinese then full Family Radio IDs in English 2/5 Also noted with US accented EE religious pgm at 2025

1370    KZSF San Jose, CA. Fair with talk in SS at 1030

1377    DXKP Pagadian City, Philippines. Fair at 1130 in Tagalog with song dedications from listeners then "Radyo Ronda DXKP - 1 3 7 7 kilohertz" ID

1377    CNR Henan, China. Fair hear at 2034 in a big mix of Asians & no sign of 3MP. MA & FA CNR network pgm and also noted another CC like language & probably NHK & DXKP were in the mix too!!

1377    1303    JOUC/JOAC, Japan. Good signal running NHK2 network and no sign of 3MP. JJ fast paced talk by MA & FA with program promo's and network announcements for AM and FM frequencies.

1380    XECO, Mexico City, Mexico. Poor here at 1007 with MA non-stop talk in SS

1386    CRI via Sitkunai, Lithuania. Noted at poor levels at 2032 in EE mixing with unid Asians

1386    1910    HLAM Makpo, South Korea. Dominant here with easy listening mx & FA talks over unid Taiwan with non-stop MA chatter.

1395    2005    RRI Wamena, Irian Jaya, Indonesia. This station is not listed. Finally ID'd this after WEEKS of trying. Very good and a regular here but the pgm'ing is mainly easy listening island music, music request shows with few formal announcements & they rarely ID on the hour. Caught this one at likely 2000 sign on with formal 'RRI Jakarta' announcements then followed by 'Radio Republik Indonesia Wamena' ID and AM & FM frequencies.

1400    1040    unid suspect Mexico. Easy listening ballads in SS but no announcements - caught on an evening when only Mexicans were about

1404    2007    BEV78 Yi Shih BC Station, Keelung, Taiwan. Fair here in the clear over 2PK with FA religious service in Taiwanese

1410    1105    XECF Los Mochis, Mexico. Fair here briefly in SS with time check & ID, lots of upbeat tunes with MA DJ.

1410    CFUN Vancouver, Canada. Very solid signal at 1011 with female talkback DJ, later noted big band mx  underneath from XECF.

1420    0801    KKEA Honolulu, HI. Fair signal with non-stop sports doing a series of Major League Baseball scores.

1440    1120    JOWF Sapporo, Japan. Assuming the one here, JJ call of soccer game, mixing with 2PB.

1450    XECU Los Mochis, Mexico. Surprised to catch this over splatter from 2MG 1449. Big band mx & animated MA in SS.

1458    1145    DWRF Iba, Philippines. Poor in mess of 2PB and others here, Filipino Sunday mass ceremony

1458    1215    DYZZ Guihulgan, Philippines. Rarely note this as DWRF is usually dominant. Over both DWRF & 2PB with political announcements and network DXBM IDs.

1460    0815    KRHA  Honolulu, HI. Fair with non-stop male talk in Korean

1460    KION Salinas, CA. Good mixing with KRHA at 1226 with the Wall St Journal report, '14-60 KION Your Talk Leader' ID & KION farming & agriculture report

1467    So. Wor. So., Bangkok, Thailand. Fair here in Thai at 1156 with instrumentals & pgm annc's mixing here at equal levels with HLKN Mokp'o, South Korea with musical

1470    XEAI, Mexico City, Mexico. Fair with SS economic and political pgm at 0909 & noted another unid SS stn probably KUTY?

1485    4HU Hughenden. Fair on occasional peaks at 2015 with ID 'we are 630 ABC Radio North Queensland'. This is a tiny little 50 watt station around 325km from Townsville and is hardly ever heard, normally 2EA is only noted

1485    DYDH Iloilo City. Philippines. Fair over tiny powered Aussie slop in Tagalog at 2015 with network stn ID at 2030

1494    DXOC Ozamis, Philippines. Finally ID on this one after noting it quite regularly, pgm promos at 1205 for network, jingle for DYRB and Sports Radio Manila Nationwide sports pgm

1500    0730    KUMU Honolulu, HI.  Tricked me here for a while as not the listed oldies music format. Heard on a weekend with mainly back to rap and R&B songs with very few announcements and then ID. Heard them twice during the week where there has been pretty much talk format.

1500    1147    XEDF Mexico City. SS here poor with non-stop MA talks and time check on the hour

1510    0805    KGA Spokane, WA.  Poor here with mainly talk and occasional ads

1512    1147    DYAB Cebu City, Philippines. Filipino & EE song show with MA in Filipino, DYAB IDs between songs.

1520    KOMA Oklahoma City, OK. Strong on brief peak here with KOMA ID and web address at 0950

1530    DZME Manila, Philippines. Not often heard but was solid this morning with national network pgm on economics at 2004

1530    2042    VOA Sao Tome. Fair here in EE with VOA sports show on world cup qualifying. 1st African heard here in Townsville.

1539    BED78 Tainan, Taiwan. Good in Taiwanese at 2010 well over 5TAB & 2RF

1540    KREA Honolulu, HI. Good here but 2RF 1539 annoying. Korean pgming here at 1053

1540    KMPC Los Angeles, CA. Fair mixing with KREA at 1242 with sports news & ads for Major League Baseball website

1548    DW via Sri Lanka. Fair in presumed Sanskrit at 1552 under 50kW 4QD (big Queenslander)

1560    KNZR Bakersfield, CA. Poor at 1249 with talk back show

1557    2015    France Info, France. Fair here on peaks with MA in FF but typical fades and mixing with Family Radio, no sign of Aussies.

1557    2015    Family Radio, Taiwan. Fair mixing with France & no Aussies around. Religious Sunday morning mass only broken up once with Family Radio website promo in EE.

1566    0945    DXID Pagadian Philippines. Quite good despite being in a 4GM and 3NE sandwich. Animated Filipino chatter with typical overmodulated jingles, many DXID IDs.

1570    0827    XERF La Poderosa, Mexico. The most regular Mexican heard here, time checks, ID & leading into Ranchera mx

1575    1309    VOA, Thailand. Thumping signal in unid Asian language with many VOA references - common I know, but still worth a quick log.

1600    1055    XEGEM Metepec, Mexico. Fast paced MA talk in SS with lots of talk of Mexico

1602    NHK Japan. NHK low powered frequency in JJ here at 1540 with MA talks over the Aussies on peaks

1640    KDIA Vallejo, CA. Fair at 1253 with religious pgm and 'Bible in the News Report'

1650    KDNZ Cedar Falls, IA. Poor with sports & talkback at 0952 with ID on the hour

1660    KTIQ Merced CA. Fair with SS talk pgm at 1258 with EE ID on the hour

1670    KHPY Moreno Valley, CA. Poor here with romantic SS ballads at 0940

The Crocodile DX Hunter
Craig Edwards
Townsville, North Queensland, Australia
Drake SPR4 & flock of sheep for antennas (4 EWE's)
PO Box 1075 Oonoonba Qld 4811
Phone 0411 966633

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.