[HCDX] Grayland, WA loggings 9 to 11 July

As always, Grayland was an enjoyable experience for myself and DX partners Don Nelson, Guy Atkins and John Bryant. Located on the Pacific Ocean shores, there's room for 3 Beverage antennae aimed NW, W, and SW. Conditions were not the best, but they were still loads of fun, and as always there was lots to learn from the others. Thanks gents, for a wonderful 4 days. Grayland happened to host a large Kite event the same weekend, so we had a lot of fun watching literally hundreds of kites aloft on the beaches in front of our complex. Here are my loggings from the session:

TAHITI 738, 0437-, RFO Papeete Jul 9 Het first audible about 30 minutes ago. Nice fade in with woman speaking in Tahitian. My first log with a new Ten Tec 340 receiver. Into Tahitian music at 0443. Following night, French speech at 0503 tune-in. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

VANUATU 7260, 0921-, Radio Vanuatu Jul 9 Fair to good reception, spoiled somewhat by summer static. Talk in Bislama. If not for static, reception would be pretty good. Mostly same YL, with music bridges. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

USA 1610, 0929-, TIS Jul 9 TIS station with mechanical male voice with Oregon marine weather continous. Also western WA. Occasion fade-up. Poor level. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

MONGOLIA 12085, 1007-, Voice of Mongolia Jul 9 English programming with same YL as I've heard for years. Into rap music (?Mongolian rap!). Fair level at best, but haven't heard them for a long time. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 15425, 1014-, HCJB Australia Jul 9 Good level for the middle of the night local with English programming with two American accented males discussing spiritual growth. One of the fellows on his upcoming move to HCJB Australia. International Friendship Program. Local ID at 1023. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 3235, 1057-, Radio West New Britain Jul 9 Very nice reception with public service announcements in Pidgin English by YL and OM. 'medicine, 10:00, public school'. 1000 84 81'. Bonanza theme song, then mention of Radio West New Britain. Followed by YL mentioning Provincial news after conch shell. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 3385, 1106-, Radio East New Britain Jul 9 Excellent reception except for minor atmospheric crashes. Talk by YL in Pidgin. To 11:08. Then ad for Remington Technologies. 'copy paper'. Then an ad for RNB FM (?Radio New Britain?). Buzzing sound at 1112 into low mod'n music. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

RUSSIA 279, 1115-, Radio Rossii Jul 9 ID in Russian at 11:29 at poor level. Presumed from Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. Other Russians noted are: 180 (Petropavlovsk), and no others. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 4890, 1133-, NBC Jul 9 '101.9 Radio Australia, Port Moresby'. Then 'news and current affairs Radio Australia, next Monday night'. Pidgin English at excellent levels. Much stronger than CRN 4960. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 3365, 1141-, Radio Milne Bay Jul 9 Very nice reception with regional modern music. Male announcer at 1144. Then into a western vocal (?Janet Jackson). (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 4960, 1150-, Catholic Radio Network (CRN) Jul 9 Surprising, but an ad for outboard motors and another for a car (only 72,500 K). 'Number one distributor'. 'For your small business'. 'Telephone or fax us'. This is the first time I've heard anything but local religious or Vatican Radio programming. Into local sounding choral hymn at 11:56 until 12:02:30. Then talk in Pidgin. 'United Nations Development Program'. 'Leadership Development Program' Good reception apart from static crashes. Still going strong at 12:52 with ID as EWPN, at least that's what it sounded like. American accented DJ, and then Amazing Grace. Prayer in English at 1300. Then Pidgin announcements from 1301, and an ad for PNG Motors used cars. Numerous phone numbers given as well. Far fewer IDs now compared to the first week of programming! Still no luck past 1330. Finally, usual ID at 13:33:30 as 'This is the Catholic Radio Network of Papua New Guinea' (the same one heard several times an hour in June). (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

LAOS 4649, 1218-, National Radio Laos, regional station Luang Prabang. Jul 9 Poor reception, but seems in parallel to 7145 with talk in presumed Vietnamese. Will need more work to make sure. Very nice Laotion music at 12:24. We're at dawn, so may not be possible to check for listed French at 1300 and English at 1330 (on 7145 that is). (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

VIETNAM 7220, 1219-, Voice of Vietnam Jul 9 Excellent reception with Russian programming after IS and ID at 12:30. Parallel 9550 is good, but with some cochannel splatter. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

THAILAND 6765, 1233-, Bangkok Meteological Radio Jul 9 Nice signal at 1240 with musical box IS and into Thai talk a minute later. An old friend, as I recall hearing the same IS/stn more than 20 years ago. English forecasts until 1307, with 'this is Bangkok met. radio, end of broadcast', and into IS. I checked the following day, and they were still going strong at 1512, almost 3 hours after local sunrise!. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 738, 1319-, 2NR Grafton, NSW. Jul 9 Presumed 2NR with mentions of Australia and news. Faded in after fade out of RFO Tahiti. Poor, though fair at times. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

LAOS 7145, 1321-, Laos National Radio Jul 9 Snippets of audio, in I'm quite sure is English. Brief Laotion music at 1350, then more talk by same YL. Same monologue by YL continued to 1401, then into I presume the Laotion NA until 1402, then carrier off a few seconds later. Signal actually improved during the half hour, but still poor at best. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

ZAMBIA 9865, 1501-, Christian Voice Jul 9 Inspirational music upto 1500 then into English ?news. Appeared by itself before TOH, but cochannel after. Fair signal. Rarely reported frequency. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

ZAMBIA 4910, 0247-, Radio 1 Jul 10 Nice African evening with fish eagle IS, followed by NA and into some nice African music. Well heard past 0330. First African of the evening 1 1/2 hours before local sunset. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

CONGO 5985, 0445-, Radio Congo Jul 10 S7 great reception in the clear with male announcer with excellent French accent, with many mentions of Brazzaville, local hotels, and telephone numbers. Very energetic DJ, akin to Brazilian stations, except in French. Best of heard them here on the west coast, and about as good when monitored in France a few years back. At exactly 0455:00 WYFR obliterated them with their IS. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

GHANA 4915, 0550-, Radio Ghana Jul 10 Decent S6 signals with nice dance type music. Usual summer static. Haven't heard them in a while. Greyline through Accra about this time. African drums at 0600. Then 3 time pips + 1. ID in English as Radio Ghana and into the news. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

VANUATU 7260.137, 0623-, Radio Vanuatu Jul 10 Not quite armchair copy, but close with Latin music (Carlos Santana). Note off frequency. I didn't notice this last night, though I had to do some surgery on my receiver to align the frequency standard. 0953 brief talk by OM in Bislama, and into a French vocal. ID at 02:55:30, again in Bislama, and then into another French vocal. Mostly about S6 to S7 signal. I believe there's French at 10:02. Definite Bislama at 10:04 recheck, with mentions of Vanuatu. 'Competition, National Radio of Vanuatu' at 10:12. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 3220, 1018-, Radio Morobe Jul 10 Bandscan of PNGs this morning shows the following stations on the air: 3220 Radio Morobe (poor level), 3235 Radio West New Britain (poor to fair), 3260 Radio Madang (poor), 3325 Radio North Solomons--I thought I heard them under strong RRI Palangkaraya, 3335 Radio East Sepik--armchair copy at S9 + 10, though the studio mike has much lower modulation and muddy audio. Too bad!, 3345 has only RRI Ternate (on 3344.85), 3365 Radio Milne Bay (poor), 3375 Radio Western Highlands about an S5 signal with report from the field?, 4890 National Radio at it's usual S9+ 10 to 20 with 'Lonely days, lonely nights, where would I be without my woman'., 4960 CNR fair to good, best on LSB. Slim pickings this morning!. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

JAPAN 3607.5, 1050-, NHK Tokyo Jul 10 Very nice signal, S6 to S9. Great modulation, with EZL piano vocals in Japanese. Not at all bad for 900 watts. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

NEW ZEALAND 3935.08, 1055-, Radio Reading Service Jul 10 Some decent audio for a change with operatic singing, relaying National Radio, with their ID at 1100, then time pips into Radio New Zealand news. Overall fair to good. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 4604.96, 1102-, RRI Serui Jul 10 Nice signal with RRI news. A good signal for 500 watts. Mentions of 'America' and 'FBI'. Nice RRI ID at 11:04:30. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

MALAYSIA 4895.02, 1115-, Radio Malaysia, Sarawak Jul 10 Green network programming with Iban programming. Saalam Alechum at 11:16. Very strong and clean reception, above nominal 4895. No // noted. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 4925, 1118-, RRI Jambi Jul 10 Good signal with local music. Greyline sunset at transmitter site. Arabic sounding music with EZL male vocal. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

SOLOMON ISLANDS 5019.89, 1124-, Solomon Islands Broadcasting Corporation Jul 10 SIBC at fair level relaying BBCWS in English. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 3266.416, 1126-, RRI Gorontalo Jul 10 Thanks to Guy Atkins for pointing this one out. English programming called 'Kang garu English show'. This is a program provided by Radio Australia to improve English in Indonesia. Basically an English lesson. 'I hope that your English improves'. Mr. Postman, followed about letter writing. POB 3095 mentioned, as well as a website. Then RRI ID at 11:40, dead air until 11:41:30 and YL on with mentions of Indonesia. She's speaking English with an English accent. Fading by 1145, so not sure if it's finished (This English program is listed Sundays but hear UTC Saturday evening local) 1130 to 1145. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 702, 1203-, 2BL Sydney Jul 10 National news at good level. Weather for Adelaide, Canberra, Darwin, etc. ABC news ID at 12:10. ABC local radio on the www. New South Wales and local radio and www site then mentioned. There is also another cochannel English with different modulation. By 1212 yet another station. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 792, 1213-, 4RN Brisbane Jul 10 English talk at fair level, with interview between 2 males. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 828, 1219-, 4GC Charters Towers Jul 10 Kangaroo sports team play by play, vs the Eagles. // to 2310, 2325 and 2485, but stronger! Not sure who for sure this would be. ?4GC Charters Towers, Queensland?. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 891, 1226-, 5AN Adelaide Jul 10 ABC Football with the Kangaroo game. ABC Football ID at 1226. Post gave show. Talk of next gave in Adelaide. 5AN presumed. Cochannel with a weaker English speaker. End of program at 12:30, and directly into ABC National news re shark attack on a 29 year male in Perth, who died on the beach. Good signal. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 1116, 1229-, 3AK Melbourne Jul 10 Difficult copy but talk radio format with Australian accented female discussing beet roots with an American sounding caller. Good except for splash. A presumed logging of Talk 1116, Melbourne. Stronger at 1240, with discussion of underwear with female caller. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 1206, 1241-, 2GF Jul 10 Weak programming discussing sports subject, but faded out within a minute. I'm assuming either 2CC Canberra or 2GF Grafton, NSW. Faded back 30 sec later. I'm quite sure I heard Grafton. Yes, Grafton heard several times, with local ads and phone numbers. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

AUSTRALIA 1341, 1257-, 2KY Newcastle NSW Jul 10 Sports format, so presumed Racing Radio. Poor to fair. Play by play at 1258. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

USA 530, 1304-, TIS Washington State Department of Transportation. Jul 10 Unknown TIS mentioning 'please call 511 for latest road conditions' and 'Washington (sure sounds like Hawaii though!) Department of Transportation'. Cochannel with a big mish mash of other TIS stations! as well as a beacon, presumable ADK. A bit better at 1319 recheck. I haven't been able to hear much from Hawaii, so more likely a nearby TIS. Checked at 1420 to hear the same station. 'Please turn on your headlights. ...Washington State...call 511... (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

USA 940, 1316-, La Pantera KWRU Jul 10 Fresno, CA with SS talk, and frequent La Pantera IDs, then English ad for upcoming TLC program. Very good. I only included this to remind myself that I wasn't able to hear a single Hawaiian station this time out. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

UNIDENTIFIED ? PHILIPPINES 12085, 1336-, FEBC Jul 10 Strong signal on 12085 with non-stop talk by YL. Unknown language, but sounds Asian. I thought I heard Vietnam mentioned several times. I'm guessing a religous broadcaster. Mentioned 'Isra-el' at 1339 twice. Low budget for sure. Same lady went on until 1356, then a vocal piece by YL accompanied by guitar. Sounds Laotian or Vietnamese to me. FEBC IS at 13:59:30 until TOH, then dead air. I see Burmese listed from 1330 until 1430 on 15330, but when checked after TOH nothing there, so perhaps a frequency change for them. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

ETHIOPIA 9559.78, 1412-, Radio Ethiopia Jul 10 African chanting at S3 to S4 level, best on LSB to avoid het from station on 9560 exactly. Listed as external service in Arabic. Transmitter must be a bit unstable as it was on 9559.827 when rechecked at 1500. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

CHINA 12080, 1928-, China Radio International Jul 10 Fair to good reception of CRI in analog mode, with some fades. ID for CRI on-line at 19:30 (CRIEnglish.com). I thought they were alternating with DRM every 15 minutes, but still in analog at 19:32. At 1955, same CRI information. On behalf of the entire CRI team thanks for listening and goodbye. Continued past TOH with same programming. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

NIGERIA 15120, 1935-, Voice of Nigeria Jul 10 Quite good reception (S4) on NW Beverage wire with African hi-life music, with some deep fades. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

CUBA 15230, 2003-, Radio Nacional Venezuela Jul 10 I didn't realize that they signed on with an Interval signal. Present at 2002 for a minute before IDing in Spanish with almost a clone to Spanish programming from RHC. Fair. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

RUSSIA 11840, 2007-, Radio Sakhalin Jul 10 Virtually a 5-5-5 signal with Russian news (Radio Rossii). Into weather 16 to 17 deg C and rain on Sakhalin. This station is not on very often, and is the first time in a long while for me. Radio Sakhalin ID (jingle ID!), and then good morning to Sakhalin, with further weather forecast, including the Kirile Is. Takes me back to the years when they used to have a blockbuster signal on 4485, I think. I used to hear that one during the day in the Pacific north-west! At 20:28 Sakhalin weather again (12 to 17 deg C), jingle ID for Radio Sakhalin, and into program, 'Armiyskiy Chac', or Army times. Continues a nice level. Off at 2100. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

BOLIVIA 6025.0, 0203-, Radio Illimani Jul 11 High energy Spanish programming with many mentions of Argentina and Mexico. 'Illimani' and 'Boliviano' mentioned. Reasonable signal but farely noisy so far tonight. 2 hours and 10 minutes before my sunset. ID at 0215 (in passing). (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PERU 6020.27, 0215-, Radio Victoria Jul 11 Decent signal, but suffering from a lot of atmospheric crashes. Soccer game apparently in progress. Conditions appear to be off tonight. SF 93 A 8, K 3. No space storms past or next 24 hours according to WWV. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

CONGO 5985, 0435-, Radio Congo Jul 11 Missed the sign-on of Radio Congo at 0430, but interesting propagation tonight. WYFR is very weak for a change and Congo is almost equal in strength to them with African music. Much more atmospheric static crashes tonight (and local noise) compared to last night. Nice signal after 0445. Darn! An open carrier (WYFR) came on tonight at 04:48:30 spoiling a chance for decent Congo reception, although they are still audible underneath at a reasonable signal strength. WYFR IS at 04:55:03! Goodbye to Congo for another night!. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

MADAGASCAR 9534.975, 0457-, WYFR Jul 11 Open carrier until exactly TOH, then WYFR IS once and into folksy (?German folk song). Poor to fair. Is this not a Portuguese service? I didn't wait around to find out. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 4870.91, 0948-, RRI Sorong Jul 11 Good reception this morning with female vocal until 0945 then news in Indonesion by male. Mentions of Sorong. Strong S9 signal. Male chorus at 09:58:40 until 10:02:40 without ID, and directly into another Indo song. So far a presumed logging, but fits Sorong rather than Wamena which has been reported off. DBS lists English Sundays at 11:30 but when rechecked at 11:17, they'd left the air (were on at 11:15). (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 4960, 1005-, Catholic Radio Network Jul 11 Good strong S6 signal with male choir. Probably best of the three mornings in Grayland. Pidgin Catholic service with mentions of PNG, Holy Spirit, 'make Him come up in the assembly'. Then into English with Bishop of Rabaul, PNG, etc., Primate of PNG, Right Honourable PM of PNG, and members of Parliament. Delegates, and to all listeners across PNG on the Catholic Radio Network. This is a good news story. Speech was given as part of a Catholic Bishop's conference to a General Assembly for the 1.3 million Catholics in PNG. Mentioned problems such as AIDS, the status of women, and youth, and overcoming the evils of the nation. The Catholic church of PNG does not want any money from the government. Speech ended at 10:19:45, and back into Pidgin, with mention of Mt. Hagen and intro of next speaker 'Papa Pope', etc in Pidgin. Fascinating listening! Excellent reception at 11:27 recheck. Best by far of the 3 mornings here. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA 3385, 1023-, Radio East New Britain Jul 11 Armchair S9+ signal with children's choir. Note this morning that 4890 is off the air (checked 9675 just in case and nothing there either). Guy Atkins tells me this is an uncommon event. Phone in at 10:29. Spoke in English/Pidgin until10:33, and into a modern English religious song 'You are my sole Provider,...'. 3375 (fair), 3365 (?open carrier), 3335 (good), 3325 (good but cochannel RRI), 3260 (good), 3235 (very good) but suddenly off at 10:49, 3220 (fair to good),. (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

INDONESIA 2959.95v, 1105-, RPDT Manggarai Jul 11 Quite variable transmitter in region of 2959.8 to 2960. Low level talk by OM, best on LSB. Fades sometimes into almost nothing, then up to fair levels. YL came on at 11:16. Only audible on NW Beverage, so there is significant skewing of signal happening (we also have SW and W Beverages). Some significant fade-ups as I continue to monitor, but they only last a few seconds. No indication of RRI relay (DBS lists RRI Kupang at 1100 as a relay, but definitely not there today). Same local flavor during the half hour I've been listening. Continues to fade up. Guy Atkins and I had a 'shoot out' between his highly modified Icom R75, Racal 6790 and my Ten Tec 340, with the best by a small margin being the Ten Tec, followed by the 6790 and then the Icom. Pause at 11:40, but faded down to hear the hopeful ID! Indo music at 11:42 until 11:46:30. Very official sounding woman followed, but still no obvious ID,then more music. Solid S6 signal at 11:51. Fingers crossed for TOH ID! Fanfare at 11:54, dead air, but then more lively music. Now a solid S7 on 2959.972. I'm impressed since they're listed at 250 or 300 watts. Armchair copy! Local dawn is approaching, so thanks to the dawn enhancement! Talk at 11:58. Jingle at TOH. RRI ID at 1200, so relaying RRI here (// to 4750). Mentions of the Indonesian president, etc. Down a bit to S4 to S5 at 12:10. Broke of the national news? at 12:11:45 with YL, and then mention of Jakarta. RRI ID at 12:15, but still nothing local! Transmitter stabilized on 2959.97. Another RRI ID at 12:23 and into ?NA or similar patriotic song (// again to 4750). EZL female local (not // 4750) at 12:26 at lower mod'n level. Then talk by OM with same song in background. Another brief announcement at 12:30, but low modulation. Fading as well to S4. After all of this, without a definite ID, my logging has to remain tentative or presumed! Any Indo speakers out there to help? (I have an hour on MD). 'Only you' at 1254. S4 to 5 level. Followed by another oldie. About S3 at 13:59. Still audible past the TOH but gone a few minutes later which might have been due to the shack coming down and the antennae disconnected ;-). (Salmaniw, Grayland, WA)

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.