[HCDX] Loggings for 3315 kHz

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 3315, 0838-1201*, R. Manus Aug 16 Weak, watery audio first
noted 0838 with male in unidentified language. Announcements and probable
news heard at 0900, and language was definitely Pidgin. Signal continued
weak to 1045 when it improved to fair, and was good by 1100 log drums and
into news items again. Melanesian music (some quite primative sounding)
heard from 1115 to 1145 at a good level, with male announcer in Pidgin
mentioning New Guinea occasionally. Old bluegrass gospel tunes and more PNG
native music to sign-off announcements at 1159, with mentions of Papua New
Guinea, frequency, program, and two IDs as 'Maus Bilong Chauka' 1159 and
1200. Sign-off was at 1201 with the PNG national anthem and the call of the
Bird of Paradise. Though I reviewed my recording, I could not find any
mention of 'R. Manus' or 'Lorengau'. However, the 'Maus Bilong Chauka' ID
matches that shown in the WRTH. After R. Manus sign-off, a weak signal in
English was revealed on 3315. I first thought of AIR Bhopal, but a check of
Geoclock showed that 1200 is 1-1/2 hours before Bhopal SS; possibly Laos?
See separate logging. (Atkins-WA)

UNIDENTIFIED 3315, 1202-1215,  Aug 16 While reviewing a recording of R.
Manus, I discovered a weak signal of a male announcer in English that had
been lurking beneath the PNG station. After Manus signed off at 1201 this
unidentified station was in the clear, but very weak. The programming was a
newscast read by a male announcer, with mentions of 'Southeast Asia',
'Indonesia' and (most interestingly) a clear 'National Radio' at 1204:30.
After a long pause, the announcer began what sounded like a commentary that
continued until the end of my recording at 1215. The last five minutes were
covered by a strong utility transmission, which is unfortunate because the
unid voice station was getting stronger. In last year's DXing.info article
titled Broadcasting In Laos (http://www.dxing.info/articles/laos.dx), Bob
Padula mentioned 'A fourth transmitter is registered, with 1 kW, on 3315,
0100-1800, again for Laos, but not heard recently.' Could this unid be Lao
National Radio? 1200 UTC is just past sunset in Vientienne, and a half-hour
before my local sunrise. (Atkins-WA)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
Modified RA6790GM & R75
Kiwa MAP / ERGO / DSP-59+
450 & 700 ft. Beverage Antennas

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.