[HCDX] Minivan Radio information

This just arrived from Rebecca Cork of Minivan Radio (11525 kHz)
Jari Savolainen
Kuusankoski
Finland

-------
Thank you very much for your interest. We will be recording the next
broadcast tomorrow afternoon in the UK.

We have had lots of feedback about the broadcast. Most of this was positive,
however, some islands in Maldives did have some trouble with the varying
volume and clarity, and many people did not know how to tune in. We have
been informed too that on the capital island, male', the radio was jammed in
a very primitive way, and the government owned Voice of Maldives was heard
over the top, with a song called Ilahee Mibin, government sponsored  song
about peace, which was played to label us as non peaceful. We also heard
reports that the Voice of Maldives was calling Minivan radio a Christian
attack on the Islamic values of Maldivians - whatever our own beliefs, this
is not something we would ever attempt to do. The voice you heard, was Ahmed
Naseer, a Maldivian himself.

The language is Dhivehi, and the people are called Dhivehin. This language
is an ancient language with influences from the Arabic traders, and Dutch
and Portuguese travellers. It is originally Sanskrit according to many
sources. It is a beautiful language and I only understand a very little.
Unfortunately independent thought and literature such as that in the poem I
read out are not welcomed in Maldives as they are considered to be
anti-governmental.

Thank you once more for your interest. We hope that Minivan radio will
remain on air and independent for many years.

Rebecca Cork

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.