[HCDX] Trans-Pacific MW and Tropical Band Loggings

It's been a pleasant surprise to find trans-Pacific mediumwave signals
making it through the RF jungle this week. I didn't think I could hear
overseas mediumwave at home near my Seattle/Tacoma area powerhouses, but I'm
happy to have been proven wrong! However, the tremendous boost in the noise
and splatter level when locals increase their power at sunrise precludes any
DXing past 1330 these days.

The best antenna by far this week was the NW Beverage. I found no hints of
Down Under reception, as conditions were dominated by a northwesterly path
to Asia.

MEDIUMWAVE

594 JAPAN JOAK Tokyo NHK1, Sep 5 1250 - Strong signal with male announcer in
Japanese; 'NHK' network ID in middle of traditional Japanese music at 1254
before fading. Noted with audio at 1330 recheck. (Atkins-WA)

657 UNIDENTIFIED , Sep 4 1302 - Weak audio by male in unidentified language.
Most likely the powerful North Korean station on this frequency, given the
predominance of Asian MW DX this week. (Atkins-WA)

666 JAPAN JOBK Osaka NHK1, Sep 5 1318 - I noted a weak signal of Japanese
language by male on this frequency at 1318, but it never improved. Likely
JOBK, the only Japanese outlet on 666. (Atkins-WA)

693 JAPAN JOAB Tokyo NHK2, Sep 5 1258 - Japanese audio with male announcer
heard at tune-in; time pips at 1300 and into news items. Fair to good at
peaks. (Atkins-WA)

738 UNIDENTIFIED , Sep 5 1309 - Very weak signal in unidentified language;
kept checking back but signal never improved. Best reception on NW Beverage,
so possibly the strong Korean HLKG, given the Asian propagation and other
Koreans audible. (Atkins-WA)

747 JAPAN JOIB Sapporo NHK2, Sep 4 1310 - Weak audio in Japanese by male and
female announcers. Also heard August 5 at a better level. (Atkins-WA)

774 JAPAN JOUB Akita NHK2, Sep 4 1317 - Fair audio by female announcer in
Japanese; signal slowly drifted downward into the noise. (Atkins-WA)

972 SOUTH KOREA HLCA Dangjin, Sep 5 1314 - Very good audio during fade-ups
with man and woman announcers in Korean; orchestral music during later
recheck at 1325. (Atkins-WA)

1053 JAPAN JOAR Nagoya, Sep 5 1314 - This was coming in at a good level with
male and female announcers' bubbly talk in Japanese, until the Korean jammer
on the frequency rose in strength to make reception tougher. (Atkins-WA)

1062 UNIDENTIFIED , Sep 5 1321 - Faint audio heard on 1062, possibly Korean.
If so, this may have been HLKQ in Cheongju (50 kw). (Atkins-WA)

1134 JAPAN JOQR Tokyo, Sep 4 1320 - Fair signal of man and woman announcers
in Japanese, and bouncy Japanese pop music before fading at 1325. Also noted
on August 5th with audio. (Atkins-WA)

1575 THAILAND VOA Ayutthaya, Sep 5 1323 - Female announcer in a SE Asian
language such as Vietnamese or Burmese. Presumed log, but John Bryant to the
north of me has been hearing VOA on this frequency at good levels this week,
so likely them. (Atkins-WA)

SHORTWAVE

CHINA 3900, 1331-1400, Hulun Buir PBS, Hailar, Nei Menggu Sep 3 Tentative.
Weak reception of man and woman announcers in Chinese, with Chinese flute
and vocals at 1335. Back to male in Chinese 1336, and buried by noise
shortly thereafter. (Atkins-WA)

INDONESIA 4604.9, 1326-1458*, RRI Serui Sep 4 Caught tail end of RRI network
broadcast, with RRI promo and announcements leading up to 'RRI Serui' ID by
male, 'Waktu Timur' time check, other announcements, and into very nice lagu
hiburan music. ID again at 1336. Excellent, pounding signal at tune-in; best
ever heard. Signal only weakening slightly past local sunrise. Low studio
modulation ID by male and voice-over steel guitar type instrument at 1454;
Love Ambon tune at 1455 (slightly upbeat, peppy version I've never heard
before), and announcer with ID, time check, frequency, and announcements
1456. At 1458* Love Ambon ended with Serui sign-off (1-1/2 hours past local
SR). Also heard at great levels on August 5. Can Serui really be just 500
watts? Sounds more like 10 kw. (Atkins-WA)

NEW ZEALAND 3935, 1314-1319, ZLXA Levin Sep 6 This station continues at
better than usual levels, as noted a week ago and as also reported by Walt
Salmaniw. Two men in a panel discussion in English at 1314; fair signal.
(Atkins-WA)

SOUTH AFRICA 3255, 0416-0420, SABC Meyerton Sep 2 BBC World Service news or
commentary by man, with discussion about US Bush adminstration's dealings
with Mexico, and into business news 0420. Fair signal at Meyerton sunrise,
and parallel to 5975. (Atkins-WA)

SOUTH AFRICA 3320, 0432-0438, R. Sonder Grense Sep 2 Tentative. Weak signal
of what seemed to be Afrikaans lang. by male. Ute QRM on frequency also,
disturbing the copy of Sonder Grense. Fading signal just past Meyerton
sunrise. (Atkins-WA)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
Modified RA6790GM & R75
Kiwa MAP / ERGO / DSP-59+
450 & 700 ft. Beverage Antennas

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out! Only $20.97 through us.