[HCDX] Tocobagadx #73

TOCOBAGA DX #73
CLEARWATER, FLORIDA, USA
E-mail: tocobagadx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

For otherwise unlisted low power FM, pirates and TIS
stations within Florida, visit my "Florida Low Power Radio
Stations" at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tocobagadx/flortis.html

© 2004, Terry L Krueger.  Retransmit or quote all or any
portion only with full credit given to TOCOBAGA DX and all
attributed sources.  All frequencies are in KHz unless
otherwise stated.  Times in GMT/UTC unless otherwise stated.

The following is a cursory MW/FM bandscan made here (Clearwater) in the
midst of Hurricane Jeanne.  Timeframe for the below was mostly 1700-1800 GMT
(1:00-2:00 p.m. EDT) September 26th.

Thus far (amazingly), save for a few moments (5-90 seconds) of brief drops,
we have retained power.  The new UPS seamlessly kicked in each time while
online.  Winds slowly increased from pre-dawn (35-40 m.p.h.) to present,
where I estimated frequent gusts at 75-85+ m.p.h. (and finally a NWS
confirmation a moment ago of a gust log at 78 m.p.h. on Clearwater Beach).
Seems to me there's a very definite, secret "exceeded" wind shear closer to
the coast (i.e., me), as the winds off the gulf are not impended by land and
man-made obstacles.  Rain has been pretty steady since post-sunrise, over
three-inches in the gauge but it's mostly blowing sideways so I would guess
we've received a bit more up to this point.  Thus far, as I type, we have
several hundred pounds of very large branches from the massive camphor tree
downed in the back yard.  I've heard some huge "thunks" on the roof but
haven't been able to drift out for long to see what's up there.  I can no
longer do it; somehow I've got to pay someone to cut this shity up and haul
it away in the coming weeks.  One of the two longwires is lost, suspect the
2nd one will not make it at which time I will be inactive on the dials until
I can round up assistance in rewiring on the roof.  Watching the neighbors'
shed shingles flapping did provide a few minutes of entertainment.  Bottom
line: Tampa Bay residents who have lived here less than 40-60 years have yet
to experience a REAL hurricane; this one does not make the charts by any
means despite being the worst I can recall since 1965.  The local media
always provides great amusement, if only Dan Rather could have been here to
enlighten us even more: WFLA-TV channel 8 was the first to go into
"hurricane panic mode" yesterday beginning at noon, with their wonderful
VIPIR radar that they have yet to master for the viewers.  One of the best
field reports to date was courtesy of a clown (forget which channel) who was
describing damage to a building, and then meekly stated that what we were
viewing was actually caused by Hurricane Frances two weeks ago!  That said,
it seemed like a good time to scan the bands, while the one wire remains up.

860 FLORIDA WGUL, Dunedin; off the air.

860 CUBA Radio Reloj, unidentified location; thanks to WGUL's silence, this
one here and alone, very strong, better than 850 and 950.  Since I'm hearing
this daytime, it cannot be the same transmitter as reportedly at Baracoa,
Guantanamo (eastern Cuba).

910 FLORIDA WTWD, Plant City; off the air.

910 CUBA Radio Metropolitana, Arroyo Arenas, Ciudad de la Habana; thanks to
WTWD being off, this one alone and near local level, plenty of station ID's,
Cuban tropical vocals, program promos.

940 FLORIDA WPTI814 Pinellas County Emergency Mgmt. TIS, Largo; well, this
expensive system was another waste of county taxpayer's money.  Just an open
carrier, the "sophisticated" audio link having failed.  Bet spokesmouth Gary
Vickers won't mention this on the next media briefing.

970 FLORIDA WFLA, Tampa; the "flagship" station for audio feed on all Tampa
market Clear Channel stations.  The 970 transmitter took a dump a few times
today, including the longest starting at 1916 GMT (3:16 p.m.), back up in a
minute but with carrier only, while the rest of the transmitters remained
audio-active.

1110 FLORIDA WTIS, Tampa; off the air.

1150 FLORIDA WTMP, Egypt Lake; lost their audio link, big open carrier only.

1220 FLORIDA WIBQ, Sarasota; lost their audio link, open carrier only.

1300 FLORIDA WQBN, Temple Terrace; off the air.

1300 CUBA unidentified; with Spanish-language WQBN off, a Cuban here but
threshold, definitely Cuba as parallel audio to 1180 kHz Rebelde with net
feed of "Noticiero Nacional de la Radio" but unable to make anything out
after the 1730 GMT conclusion.  However, for certain not Enciclopedia, which
did not carry NNdR as per 1260 and 1310 monitoring.

1310 CUBA Radio Enciclopedia, unknown; weak but alone, parellel 1260.

1320 FLORIDA WAMR, Venice; open carrier.  Audio back on 1742 GMT recheck.

1400 FLORIDA WZHR, Zephyrhills; off the air.

1490 FLORIDA WWPR, Bradenton; off the air.

1500 FLORIDA WPSO, New Port Richey; off the air.

1520 FLORIDA  WXYB, Indian Rocks Beach; off the air.

1550 FLORIDA WAMA, Tampa; off the air.

1680 FLORIDA WLAA, Winter Garden; off the air.

88.5 MHz FLORIDA WMNF, Tampa; off the air.

96.1 MHz FLORIDA WTMP-FM, Dade City; off the air (see 1150).

98.3 MHz FLORIDA WWRZ, Ft. Meade; off the air.

102.9 MHz FLORIDA (PIRATE) "WHRR Hot Rats Radio," Clearwater; the operator
of this pirate reports to me that his 40-foot FM stick was snapped in two
and cleanly landed across the fence in the yard of his neighbor.  This
station will now be indefinitely mothballed.

103.5 MHz FLORIDA W

106.3 MHz FLORIDA WGUL-FM, Spring Hill; open carrier-only (see 860).

107.9 MHz FLORIDA WSRZ-FM, Coral Cove; off the air.  The only Clear Channel
station in the Tampa/Sarasota markets that appeared to be off.

World Radio TV Handbook 2004 is out!