[HCDX] Reply regarding concern at closure of RVi English programmes

(I received this today)

Dear Sir,

I well recieved your letter dated 31 october 2004, informing me of your
position and concern on the planned alteration in the guidelines of RVi.

Just like you, I have a problem with the abolition of the non-Dutch
language broadcasts of RVi, for it is unmistakably the responsibility of
the national channel to put Flanders on the map of the world. In my
capacity as Minister for Foreign Policy as well as Media, I would
strongly deplore the possible disappearance of this window of the world
on Flanders.

Already I am deluged with e-mails and letters from all over the world in
which both Flemings and foreigners beg me to maintain the non-Dutch
language broadcasts of RVi. Often, RVi is the only direct source of
information about Flanders for these people. Also in my capacity as
Minister for Tourism, I feel regret, as many foreigners find their way
to Flanders by RVi

Outside Europe, the Flemings abroad would be referred to the website on
which the usual VRT programmes can be listened to. I also regret this
decision. For it is self-evident that numerous Flemings in Africa, Asia
and other continents will be de facto left to fend for themselves as
they hardly have access to the Internet.

I therefore wish to consult with the VRT about the possibility to
maintain RVi as the best access to Flanders for both Dutch-speaking
people and foreigners.

I'm grateful for your concern and stay always at your disposal for
further information.

Yours sincerely

Geert BOURGEOIS
Flemish Minister for Administrative Affairs,
Foreign Policy, Media and Tourism

--
Duncan Braeckevelt
Raadgever Media