[HCDX] Proposed LF Conference

Carl-Henrik Walde, Secretary of the Swedish National Committee of URSI
(Union Radio-Scientifique Internationale), writes: "he venue will be on the
west coast of Sweden, from around Thursday June 30 to Saturday July 2, 2005.
There is a reason for these dates and the time period should be regarded as
fixed, provided we get sufficient interest to launch such a seminar,
symposium, or full-fledged conference."

"A few weeks ago, the Nordic Radio Society Foundation (NRS) had its 7th
Nordic Shortwave Conference HF04 on the exotic island of Fårö in the Baltic.
HF04 comprises VLF issues, albeit the majority is related to HF. 160
participants attended and I devoted my HF04 opening speech to radio station
SAQ in Grimeton that had been added, on July 2 this year, to the Unesco
World Heritage List:
"That HF04 opening night, I got congratulations for our world heritage
success and people said 'now we must go to Grimeton' ...it came to my mind
that we ought to organise an international longwave meeting in Varberg so as
to combine present ELF, VLF and LF issues with a visit to nearby vintage
SAQ. I got immediate support from industry, operators and various agencies.
As a matter of fact, I was told that the most recent VLF meeting had been in
York, UK, in 1992."

"Varberg is a 'Summer Town' and a perfect venue with all facilities within
short walking distance (hotels, youth hostel, campus lecture halls, railway
station, Denmark ferry terminal, parking lots, old castle, swimming, cafés
etc etc."

"SAQ was inaugurated on July 2, 1925 by King Gustaf V. The new reception
building will be inaugurated on July 2, 2005, celebrating 80 years of SAQ
operation. We hope a (member of) royalty will start the alternator to
transmit a royal message. This will be the perfect final activity of the
'2005 Grimeton longwave meeting'. Thus, the dates are fixed and we have
already made a preliminary reservation of hotel rooms. So, please mark the
dates in your calender - now."

"We doubt that we can find sponsors to cover an anticipated full conference
loss. Do we keep the ambition low (=seminar)? Will we get a lot participants
(=conference)? We know that we have to keep the fee reasonably normal and we
hope to offer lower rates for university people."

"Therefore, I kindly ask you to tell us if you would be interested in taking
part in a '2005 Grimeton longwave meeting.' All answers are without
obligations, but we need them in order to help us decide if we should go on
and, if so, the ambition. A first invitation and call for papers could be
sent out in November, 2004."

All views are welcome. Please submit yours by email to the HF04
administrative secretary, Ms Winnie Svensson at AerotechTelub, e-mail:
winnie.svensson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (fax +46 470 42042).

(LWCA)