[HCDX] re FRT7700 atu

Thanks for all the replies regarding this little box. In the end the unit
went for more than I was prepared to pay, BUT I have managed to get myself a
proper 'pi' match atu for a third of the price. The atu I use at the moment
gives 20-25dB increase on received signals, but as I say it runs out of puff
at 1.6MHz or so. I think the reason it makes such a difference is that a)
the antenna is very small - it's a 2m long vertical loaded folded dipole and
b) I have an untuned preamp before the ATU. Careful adjustment sees a nice
sharp peak in signals. I won't pretend there is anything like a 50 ohm match
but it's a darn site better than having no ATU (also I don't have any
overload problems with the ATU in line as it adds a tuned 'front end' to my
preamp). Having logged 250 countries on the ham bands this year, I think I
can say that the system works! Now I will be looking to snag some more
transatlantic on MW and see if I can log any North American NDB's.

73,
Sean D. Gilbert MIPRE,G4UCJ

International Editor - WRTH (World Radio TV Handbook)

E-Mail: sean.gilbert@xxxxxxxx Fax: +44 (0) 709 2332287
Web: www.wrth.com and http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g4ucj

WRTH - THE Directory of Global Broadcasting

THIS EMAIL HAS BEEN SCANNED FOR VIRUSES BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2003 Pro