saw severe (Kp-8) geomagnetic storming for at least six hours!

Just a few words concerning sunspot group #10720 that is rotating around the
west limb of the Sun today, hoorah.

#1.) During #10720's transit across the visible face of the Sun it produced
100 C class, 24 M class and 5 X class solar flares, quite prolific.

#2.) It produced at least six geoeffective (Earth facing) coronal mass
ejections. The last CME that arrived on Friday 01/21/05 was so intense that
it was followed by magnetopause crossings. In simpler terms Earth's magnetic
field was compressed in the opposite direction of the Sun such that orbiting
satellites including the space station were exposed to the full wrath of the
Sun, very unhealthy to microprocessors and human DNA.

#3.) It produced an energetic excessive proton storm that reached 5040 pfu,
the strongest of cycle 23. At one point protons actually penetrated to
ground level in the polar regions!

#4.) Last but not least it produced at least 38 hours of geomagnetic
storming.

Fortunately we will now see solar, space and geomagnetic weather return to
some sense of normalcy.

But we also have recurrent sunspot group #10715, now re-numbered as 10725,
which just rotated into view around the eastern limb of the Sun. Last solar
rotation this sunspot group was a prolific producer of solar flares. It
already has a beta-gamma twisted magnetic field and is capable of C & M
class solar flares. This group has the potential to grow rapidly in size and
complexity, similar to now departed sunspot group #10720.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL, USA
Grid Square EL87WX
Lat & Long 27 58 33.6397 N 82 09 52.4052 W
kn4lf@xxxxxxxx

Propagation eReflector:
KN4LF Daily Solar Space Weather & Geomagnetic Data Archive:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf5.htm
KN4LF Daily LF/MF/HF Radio Propagation Outlook:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf6.htm
KN4LF HF/MF Radio Propagation Theory Notes: http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf8.htm
KN4LF Amateur & SWL Radio History: http://www.kn4lf.com/index.htm